In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Two Things, No Make That Three



My caboose kiddo, Christa, is experiencing day camp this week.

She's have a blast with her friend Miranda and a bunch of other new friends.

Yesterday as I hugged her goodbye, I said, "There are two things I want you to do today."

Christa looked up at me and said, "You want me to have fun."

"That's one," I said.

I was thankful she knew that having fun was in my Top 2 Things To Do list for her.

"You want me to be nice."

"Yep!" I agreed. "But I guess I want you to do three things."

I confess, I hadn't thought about reminding her to be nice. But I didn't mind expanding my list.

"Okay, what else, Mom?"

"Be safe, too."

"Alright, I'll do that too!"

I gave her another hug and kiss and watched her run off to play with the other campers.

To be honest, I was going to tell Christa to be safe and to have fun, in that order.

My 7-year-old daughter's priorities are better than mine.

Have fun.

Be nice.

And, oh yeah, be safe while you're having fun and being nice.

Our little interaction today reminded me of the movie Finding Nemo. In the beginning of the movie, Nemo's dad is all about keeping his young son safe. And who can blame him? Nemo's dad has learned that life is dangerous.

But by the end of the movie--and after having quite the daring adventure in the big wide under the sea world--Nemo's dad encourages his son to go have fun.

I'm a mom. I know the world is a dangerous place. But I need to be reminded that I have a choice. I can either focus on all the fun that's waiting for me or I can focus on all the danger--real or imaginged--waiting for me.

I like Christa's perspective.
Have fun.
Be nice.
And, oh yeah, while you're having fun and being nice--be safe too!


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact