In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, May 04, 2009

Intertwined: Sunshine and Snow




I've got a birthday coming up--and it's one of those birthdays. Let's just say I'll be the same age as Barbie and leave it at that.

Milestone birthdays are usually times of reflection--and that's even more true this year. I continue to walk alongside my friends whose son, Ian, just died after battling cancer for 15 months. One thing I'm relearning is that life is full of moments filled with both sunshine and snow.

I told my husband Rob that I can't say Ian lost his battle with cancer. Ian never gave up fighting cancer. Every day Ian faced cancer with courage and wisdom beyond his 13 years. At Ian's funeral, his older brother, Wes, said that Ian lived believing that you don't sweat the small stuff--and Ian believed cancer was small stuff.

What an amazing truth to learn from a teenager.

At Ian's funeral, there were moments where tears flowed and laughter was shared--sunshine and snow. Sometimes tears and laughter mingled together. As we watched a slideshow that captured oh-so-precious glimpses of Ian's too-brief life, I found myself smiling and crying at the same time.

Perfect moments caught by the camera and treasured by those of us during a painfully imperfect moment.

A short while later, we stood with the family by Ian's graveside. I know that mingled in our tears were questions of why and how and when--Why did this happen and How do we go on without Ian and When will the pain lessen? I was comforted by the minister's reminder that the God I believe in asked "Why?" when he hung on the cross for the sins of all men.

As my family walked back to our car, I held my daughter's hand. I could hear Christa saying something.

"What did you say, Christa?"

"Nothing."

"Honey, what did you say?" I leaned down closer to hear her.

"Nothing," she repeated.

"Were you singing?"

"Yes," she whispered.

"Were you singing Ian's song?"

"Yes."

Tears came again as I witnessed my daughter trying to grasp hope in the midst of a painfully imperfect moment.

As we continued to walk to the car, I joined her in singing Ian's song. My husband and our other daughter joined us to softly sing, "How great is our God ... "

Ian never stopped believing.

Why should we?

5 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger Evangeline Denmark said...

This is beautiful, Beth. Such a perfect description of those amazing moments during tragic times. Remembering you all in prayer.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Leaning into your prayers ...

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Scoti Springfield Domeij said...

Sunshine and snow. What a WONDERFUL word picture.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

Happy Birthday!

I loved this precious moment of sunshine and snow. Thank you for sharing the sweetness of Christa singing Ian's song. I loved how amazing it was to be a part of Ian's celebration service. I'm sure the funeral was just as amazing. Because IAN was that kind of guy. Amazing! A courageous child of the King.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

I also meant to add I am sorry about your loss. I never even met Ian and he touched my life deeply.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact