In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, October 23, 2009

In Pursuit of #1


Photo by raichinger/StockXchange.com




I caught a glimpse of the world's top mom the other day.
How did I know?
She was driving a car in the lane next to me -- two cars ahead of me. Traffic was stopped at a red light, and there it was emblazoned in white letters on her green license plate: #1 MOM.
Surprisingly, #1 MOM wasn't cruising around in a minivan or pricey SUV bearing a "My kid is smarter than your kid" bumper sticker. No, she sat behind the wheel of a nondescript four-door sedan.
Having a vanity license plate declaring "#1 MOM" is equivalent to when a coffee shop has a sign claiming "World's Best Coffee Served Here."
I don't know about you, but my knee-jerk reaction is, "Oh,yeah? Sez who,besides you?"
As I sat at the red light, I wondered, Did she buy that license plate for herself? In all her self-assured mom-ness, was she determined to snag the top mom spot?
And then I calmed my unusual brand of road rage--fueled by insomnia, caffeine and hormones--and realized maybe someone else gave her the license plate as a gift.
Maybe her husband, creative genius that he is, wanted to affirm her for all those mommy hours she logs behind the wheel of her mom-taxi, behind the stove, along the sidelines of her kiddos' games ...
Or maybe her children celebrated Mother's Day, not with a bunch of flowers, but with a thin piece of metal screwed to the back of their mom's car.
True confession: Too often I think of motherhood as a competition.
How am I doing compared to you? Or you? Or you?
What's my standing in the world of moms? Am I in the top ten percent of good moms? The top five percent?
Reality is, I am the mom of four children: Josh, Katie Beth, Amy and Christa. If I spend less time comparing myself to others, I'll do a much better job loving the son and daughters God gave me.
It's not about being #1. It's about being the best mom I can be--imperfections and all.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Evangeline Denmark said...

Hey, that was me in that car! My nugget mobile had to go into the shop, and I borrowed my friend's car. She cooks everything with organic ingredients, dips her house in Clorox everyday, never allows TV or video games, and her kids are the ones who look like they're wearing straight jackets in Walmart.
Yeah, it was great to be in her pristine (notice the use of the word pristine--intentional), but I sure will be glad to get back into my own sticky, toy box car. I feel more at home there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact