In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, December 14, 2007

And to All 3 a Good Night

As I crawled into bed the other night, I heard giggling coming from my daughter's room.

Not Christa's room--my other daughter, Amy, the 19-year-old.

As a matter of fact, I heard giggling and singing.

It was heading on to midnight, but there was some fun happening in that room.

Katie Beth, my 21-year-old daughter, was spending the night.

And the giggles and singing sounded like old times--back when Katie Beth and Amy were 9 and 11 years old, and both of them still lived at home.

I can remember crawling into bed and hearing Katie Beth and Amy talking and giggling.

"Settle down in there," Rob would warn them.

And it would get quiet.

For a minute or two.

Then more giggles. More whispers. An outburst of laughter.

Half the time, Rob and I savored the sounds, realizing that it would be over all-too-soon.

And we were right.

So, the other night when I heard the giggles and the singing and the whispers, I closed my eyes ... and pretended for just a minute or two that I had my young girls back.

And then I realized if I went back, I wouldn't have the blessing of Christa or my precious daughter-in-love Jenelle.

As wonderful as then was, now is wonderful too.

I did hop out of bed, though. Not to tell Amy and Katie Beth to be quiet. No, not at all.

I got up to enjoy kissing three daughters good night again.

It's been a while since I've experienced that pleasure.

I've missed it.

2 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger regina said...

You made me smile from my heart to my face. :)

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

:O)
Thank you, Regina.
I was smiling through my tears too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact