In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, July 09, 2007

All By Myself

I enjoyed a rare moment of privacy the other night. Rob and I went to dinner with another couple and when I excused myself to go to the Ladies room, I went there all by myself.

This is a rare treat these days.

Usually I am accompanied by Christa, my rambunctious, talkative six-year-old daughter. Christa also likes to sing in the stalls of the Ladies room. I have never felt the need to sing in a public restroom. Never ever.

I am required to share the same stall with Christa because I have a vital duty to perform. I must block the little sensor that tells the toilet to flush. Christa hates automatic toilets. Can't blame her. They are loud and overly-sensitive and have been known to go off prematurely--which is quite upsetting to a preschooler, let me tell you. The first time this happened Christa hurtled off the seat and wrapped her partially-undressed self around my legs and wouldn't let go. I thought I was doomed to spend the rest of my life in the Ladies room in Wal-Mart.

So when I walked into the restroom and realized it was just me, myself and I--I was momentarily at a loss. I almost felt like I needed to ask someone to join me--but then I figured I'd get kicked out of the restaurant. I decided to just enjoy this all-too-rare moment of privacy and quiet.

A mom takes her good times whenever--and wherever--she can get them.

4 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

This is too funny. Hannah is almost ten and still visits most public restrooms for some unknown reason.

Cherish your "me" time!

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee - that is funny! I have some public bathroom stories, too. I'm glad you got to be alone a little bit. =O)

On the rare night out, I always thought it was weird to not cut anyone's food, too.

Stacey

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Did you sing? Even a little bit?

Libby hates the automatic flushers too, with a passion. I always smile when she claps and cheers and tells me, "Good job mommy go potty!" :)

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I'm usually too busy saying, "SSSHHH! Now's not the time to sing!" to think of any solos myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact