In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The Word for 2008

Anybody make New Year's Resolutions?

Not me.

I gave that up a few years ago.

Now I pick a word to focus on for the year. Concentrating on one particular word is a much more attainable goal than trying to accomplish a list of wills and won'ts. Truth is, I usually misplace my list of resolutions by the end of January.

My word for 2006 was gratitude. That year I kept an (almost) daily list of things I was thankful for. My word for 2007 was simplify. My extended illness made life incredibly simple--so many oh-so-necessary things became not so. Life was about recovery and--once again--being thankful for family and friends.

My word for 2008?

Content--as in, being satisfied or experiencing a sense of well-being.

I chose the word content after I saw a hand-lettered sign that read, "Be happy with what you have." Those six words brought me to a standstill. Too often I want more stuff, more things. I get caught up with window-shopping--and don't appreciate what I have.

So, for 2008, I'm focusing on one word: content.

Amybody else want to crumple up that list of resolutions and pick a word instead?

3 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I may do this, too, as I also hate lists of resolutions. Thanks for the idea!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Truth be told, the idea didn't orignate with me ... but I'm a great imitator of good ideas!!
If you choose a word, let me know!

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Hi Beth,
I'd forgotten about this idea, thank you for reminding me. I saw a quote I thought you might like. "Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought." ~William Hazlitt
I'm thinking my word for this year is most likely Prioritize: what is the most important thing for me to do right now. Interestingly enough it is usually exactly the opposite of what I want to do. :)

My two cents on goody bags (when it is my turn next month I will blank out for sure but I have a few ideas for you). Almost guaranteed to be a hit with girls of almost any age (lots of little trinkets that are usable can be theme related or random):

-stickers or stamps
-cutsie/girlie pens or pencils
-little chapsticks/lipglosses
-snack packages like Teddy Grahams, fruit snacks, cookies
-candy and gum
-a little business card sized piece of paper with a recent picture of Christa on it that says thanks for coming to my party or helping me celebrate my birthday or being my friend
-those little DaySpring cards with scripture and/or cute animals on them
-random "gems" from the dollar store the guest of honor chooses (just close your eyes for that part)
-a gift certificate for a frosty or Sonic drink or hamburger or ice cream
-art things (crayons, markers, paper, playdoh)
-makeup stuff (yeah, me neither)
-for the child who has everything: a donation to a charity in their honor (may I suggest Love Without Boundaries, always a good choice)

Hope some of this helps. Sorry it turned out so long. Hope you are well.

Happy Birthday Christa!
Happy Partying!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact