In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Traveling the Mommy-Come-Lately Road

My mommy-come-lately life took me to Kansas for 4 days--and my caboose kiddo stayed home! I spoke at a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers International) group in Wichita, Kansas. Mixed in was some fun with my forever-friend, Fran, so it was a good trip.

I remember talking to another mom about my surprise pregnancy. "It will be interesting to see how this keeps you connected with young moms."

And here I am, 7 years later, speaking to MOPS groups and at the MOPS Convention. Lots of young moms--thousands--and some mommies-come-lately like me too. And in March I travel to the Hearts at Home (H@H) Convention--another chance to speak to moms.

I remember being a young mom and wanting to be a good mom. Wanting to do it all right. And, of course, I didn't. I made mistakes. It was the encouragement of other moms, like my friend Fran, that got me through my mistakes.

That's why I say yes to the invitations to speak at a MOPS group in Kansas. I pray for a heart-to-heart connnection with the moms I meet. And I pray my words speak hope and encouragement to each mom in the room. I hope we share some laughs--and maybe a few tears. And I hope when all is said and done, we all feel more ready to be moms.

Because, as MOPS says, mothering matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact