In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Making the Call

Some days I'd like to not be the mom.

Like, on those days when my child misbehaves with another child.

And then my child confesses.

And then I have to make the call to the other mom and say, "Hi, I'm so-and-so's mom. And your child and my child were (fill in the blank here). And I thought you might want to know about it.

I'm one of those parents who figures other parents want to know these things too.

Or maybe it's that mommy-misery loves company phenomenon.

And if you're reading this post and you're wondering--yep, this happened recently. Like as recently as yesterday.

As this was all going down, I thought, "I am too old for this." That's the danger of being a late-in-life mom. You throw the age factor into everything--and it counts against you at stressful times. Poor Christa is probably going to hear, "I'm too old for this kind of stress," far too many times throughout her life.

The mom-to-mom conversation went quite well. The parent-to-child conversation went well too. In this house, it's always better to be honest than to be on perfect behavior. And if you show me a perfectly behaved kid, I'll show you a kid who is not being honest with you.

But that's another post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact