In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, May 16, 2008

Dichot-Amy Turns 20

"In my daughter's eyes everyone is equal. Darkness turns to light and the world is at peace. This miracle God gave to me gives me strength when I am weak.
I find reason to believe in my daughter's eyes."
~In My Daughter's Eyes, sung by Martina McBride


My daughter, Amy, turns 20 today.
And with that, I no longer have a teenager in my house.
I'll get a six year break from teenagers and then my caboose kiddo will hit 13--and I'll be the mom of a teen again.
I did a little hug-dance with Amy yesterday. Told her she should enjoy her last day as a teen. Today she is a twenty-something.
How did that happen?
Amy earned the nickname "Cookie" when she was just a few months old. I'd taken her to get an immunization. When the nurse gave her the shot, her eyes got oh-so-big. She looked surprised and annoyed. Gave a little grunt. But she didn't cry.
"She's one tough cookie," I announced.
The name stuck.
Amy earned another nickname this past year. She's my "Dichot-Amy." A dichotomy is something with seemingly contradictory qualities.
That's my daughter. She's my homebody who spent the summer after high school in Guatemala--and now dreams of living there. She's my still-waters-run-deep child. She's my "I can't do that" child who dreams bigger than I've ever imagined. She's my shy child who wants to minister to homeless people and prostitutes and orphans.
I've always told God I wouldn't get in the way of what he wants for my children.
I think my Amy is going to test my word on that in ways I never imagined.
But I said it. And I mean it.
I've always been thankful that when my husband and I prayed for a third child, he gave us Amy. And with each year, I have more and more reasons to be thankful.
Happy birthday, Amy.
May this be a year of dreams come true for you.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice...great to hear the share and gratitude and love for your wonderful daughter - and my niece! love to all. bkjr

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Heather said...

HaPpY BiRtHdAy AmY! woo hoo! Have a wonderful day and a great year! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact