In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Keeping the Caboose Kiddo Busy

Call me crazy.
In an act of desperation, I started a blog for my caboose kiddo.
My thought was, "Help! What else can I do with her to keep her busy this summer?"
Start a blog.
I suggested the idea to Christa--and she was all for it.
And you know what? My act of desperation is turning out to be a lot of fun for both of us.
At first, I was Christa's faithful scribe, typing her dictated statements for each post, telling about her day. Then I remembered that she's learned some basic keyboarding already. So, I let her type some. Then I type some. We upload a photo.
And then she sits back and waits for her comments.
That is her favorite part of blogging: the comments from her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. On the day she got 7 comments, Christa threw back her head and proclaimed, "I love my life!"
I'm ve-ery careful with Christa's blog. I didn't post any personal information about Christa when I set up her blog. And I read all her comments. I send out an e-mail to family, letting them know when Christa's posted a new entry. It's a great way to keep in touch with all her long-distance relatives. And she's creating a fun summer journal too.
Sometimes acts of desperation can create something unexpected and worthwhile.
Who'd have thought it?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Brianna said...

What a supportive way to help nurture your daughter's writing/typing skills AND give you an activity to enjoy together. I bet she'll have fun looking back on the entries a year from now to remember the things she did this summer and to see how she develops through her blogging experience!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact