In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Summer Vacation's Coming: What's a Mommy-Come-Lately To Do?

Two and a half days and counting.
And I am counting down the days until Christa starts summer vacation.
And while I'm counting, I'm wondering: How am I'm going to keep my oh-so-active caboose kiddo entertained this summer?
Suggestions, anyone?
Christa is lamenting the end of school too. She will miss her friends. Her teachers. All the activities. She knows that, come next Monday, it will be me and her.
I best have a game plan for the summer.
And I do.
Sort of.
Christa requested swim lessons. Okay, she's registered for those.
She's also registered for Vacation Bible School, which is always a lot of fun.
I'll probably enroll her in a day camp for a week. I've already talked to another mom whose daughter is in Christa's class. It'll be more fun if the two girls can go together.
Let's see. That takes care of 4 weeks of summer vacation.
I'm not nearly as prepared as I need to be.
Of course, I want Christa to have some fun with the neighbor kids. They can ride bikes. We can walk to the park. Bake cookies. Build forts. That sort of thing.
There's always the summer reading program at the library. And craft classes at the local craft stores.
One of my main goals this summer is to avoid giving up and giving in and turning on the TV for too many hours.
I'd love to think Christa will sleep in this summer.
Ha. In my dreams.
So, if any of you moms out there--older moms, younger moms--age doesn't matter--have any suggestions for keeping a 7-year-old occupied during summer vacation--I'm listening!!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Kristen M. said...

Plan a mother-daughter book club (invite a few friends). Have each daughter take turns choosing a book from the library and planning a day around the book. It's as simple as choosing a book (Fancy Nancy), a snack (fancy finger foods or a "French" theme) and an activity (talk about likes/dislikes of the book, make a craft - pink boas or fancy hats). Meet weekly or once a month.

(I came across your blog via 5 minutes for mom and hope you don't mind me commenting. I have a seven year old daughter too!)

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

What a great idea!!! I'm going to do it!!
Thanks for dropping by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact