In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Just Making Sure


Getting my caboose kiddo ready for school this morning.
Zipping up her jacket. Kissing her forehead.
"You know, I sure was surprised when I found out you were coming along," I told her. "But, I'm so glad you surprised me."
She giggled and then headed out the door with a smile on her face.
I meant what I said--and it was tinged with only a little bit of guilt.
When I wrote Baby Changes Everything: Embracing and Preparing for Motherhood after 35, I was honest about how shocked I was by my pregnancy at 41.
S-H-O-C-K-E-D.
For awhile, I felt like I was going in reverse and fast-forward at the same time.
My caboose kiddo is now almost 8. She's old enough to know the book is about her--that there would have been no book if there had been no her.
I just want to make sure she never doubts that I love her and I want her in my life.
I admit to being an initially reluctant Mommy-Come-Lately®, but I truly am loving late-in-life motherhood now. I also admit it took a little while for my emotions to stop reeling and for me to wrap my brain around the sudden u-turn in my life back to maternity clothes and morning sickness and being a 41-year-old mom-to be.
I've met other women surprised by late-in-life motherhood--one just a couple of weeks ago when I spoke at a Hearts at Home conference. She was trying to grasp the reality that she was pregnant again at 41.
Sounded familiar.
We hugged--and I told her that it was okay that she wasn't over-the-moon thrilled about her pregnancy right that minute. I believe she will fall in love with her caboose kiddo minute by minute, day by day--experience by experience. That's how it happens sometimes.
That's how it happened for me.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Blogger Amy Jo said...

Hi Beth,

Just saw you mentioned on Wildfire Marketing's blog. Congrats! Hey, I was wondering if your book is strictly about late in life pregnancies, or if women who adopt children later in life would benefit? I have several friends who are raising teenagers (and some have grandchildren), while also adopting one or more children through adoption. Blessings! Amy

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I interviewed lots of different late-in-life moms (and some late-in-life dads)for my book, including Mommies-Come-Lately® by adoption. Their stories are included in the "Cameo Appearances" throughout the book.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Hi, Beth,
I sooooo enjoyed your article in the MomSense magazine (which I read on-line via your link!:)). Thanks for sharing so honestly aobut your ups and downs in mothering. You encouraged me! Thank you! Jeanne

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Perspective is a wonderful thing. Sharing those less-than shining mom moments ... hoping to encourage other moms.
Thanks for encouraging me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact