In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, February 09, 2009

Motherhood, Migraines and Me

Moms should be exempt from illness. There should be some sort of law passed decreeing that all mothers with children from birth to at least 18 years old should be immune to colds, flus, fevers, nasal congestion, pink eye, "the crud"--anything and everything that will slow us down as moms.

The list would include migraines.

I have been taken down too many times by the wretched monster of a headache. Even with my daily medication, a migraine can still show up and say, "All those things on your To Do list? Not gonna happen!"

Today is one of those days. Migraine trumped motherhood.

I know my caboose kiddo is at school only because she is not here. The last thing I remember doing is getting out of bed, checking the weather, and grabbing appropriate clothes for her to wear. I don't care how ill I am, there are some things a dad should never be left to do on his own.

My husband Rob took over getting Christa breakfast and lunch--and he even took over carpool duty. What a guy!

I'm finally seeing the light of day--just not too brightly, thank you very much. I hate it when my day is shrunk down to a headache. One very large headache.

Once I'm back to normal, I'm calling my congressman and seeing about getting some legislation passed. I bet I can get a few million moms to sign a petition exempting us from being ill. We don't get to take sick days anyway!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your migraine!

I too suffer from migraines. In the last year they have been occurring about every other day! In the past 6 months I've been taking 400 mg of B2s each day as prescribed by my neurologist and I'm working with a psychologist on stress reduction techniques. I'm actually seeing or rather feeling a difference!! Just not on a frequent basis just yet.

I have hope and a great support network in my husband and mom when days get really bad.

I agree ... no sick moms would be an incredible gift!!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I will have to give the B2s a try. Haven't done that yet. And I thank God for a supportive, flexible family. Here's hoping I'm "perky" for my speaking engagement tonight!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

They take three months to settle into your system so don't give up before then. How did you do with your engagement?

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MarLo, Beth did AWESOME at her speaking engagement.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I had a fun time. Lots of good interaction with the other writers there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact