In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Their word, my word

Photo by sallydell/istockPhoto.com

So the wordsmiths over at Oxford University Press chose their 2009 Word of the Year. They announced their decision Nov. 17 -- drumroll, please--and the word is: unfriend.

Unfriend is a verb that means to remove someone as a friend on a social networking site, such as Facebook.

I had lots of fun over on The Writing Road blog talking about other words that were in the running for OUP's 2009 Word of the Year. Funny thing is, I pick a Word of the Year too. However, my reason for selecting a word has nothing to do with it's popularity the previous 12 months.

Nope.

About five years ago, I abandoned New Year's Resolutions. The whole list thing--I failed that. I usually lost my list of good intentions by the end of January.

Then I read an article--and I so wish I could remember who wrote the article so I could give much-deserved credit where it is due. The author talked about focusing on a word for one year. 365 days. Living out that word as your theme for the year.

Simple theory. I liked it.

And so, after mulling and pondering and praying, I've selected words each year. So far, my words have included:
  1. gratitude
  2. content
  3. simplify

For 2009, my word was forgiveness. To be honest, I asked God if I could trade that word in for another one. He ignored my suggestion. And so, I've wrestled with the heart-wrending truths of forgiveness for the past 11 months.

I've re-discovered that I am not naturally a forgiving person--and that young children are. I've discovered that forgiveness is a choice--again and again and again and again and again and again. You get my point. I've spent hours on my face before God wrestling with the who and the what and the how of forgiveness.

That's not bragging. That's confession.

And guess what? I already know what my word for 2010 is.

Forgiveness.

Yep.

I've got miles to go before I understand and live out forgiveness on a daily, breathe-in-breathe-out basis. I find that my focus is off of "them" and on me right now.

When you think about it, their word--unfriend--and my word--unforgiveness--are related.

Gotta' think about that. But I've got 13 months, don't I?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I tell everyone I know about the word of the year. I'm with you on wanting to trade in my words. My "trust" word, however, has become so vital to me this year. Last month I already started being nudged on selecting content for next year. Lord help me, I have no idea how hard that's going to be. :) Thanks for the word resolution. I love it!

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Just tonight I told someone else about the word of the year.
Forgiveness has been ...challenging. Life changing. And I'll embrace it and wrestle with through 2010.
Hugs to you, MarLo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact