In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, August 26, 2011

In Others' Words: Hope




"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof." ~ Barbara Kingsolver, novelist



What do I hope for?
That life isn't all about me. 
That there is something ... Someone ... bigger than me. Wiser. More sufficient. 
What do I hope for?
Grace instead of the backbreaking load of do-this-don't-do-that laws I lived under for too long.
What do I hope for?
Faith that sees the rainbow in the midst of the flood of tears.
What do I hope for?
Truth, even the harsh "how do I live with this?" kind of truth that takes you to your knees and makes you look up and cry out for God. Yes, I will take that over placating lies any day.
And love. Laughter. Forgiveness.
May my life be shot through with hope that is constructed of all these treasures.


In Your Words: What do your hope for? Are you living inside that hope--or merely admiring it from a distance?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger Keli Gwyn said...

I hope I touch lives in positive ways.

I hope I bless others as they've blessed me.

I hope I continue to grow as long as I'm alive.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

I hope for peace, for more hope, that I am making my life count.

I hope for heaven.
~ Wendy

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger dtopliff said...

I appreciate Barbara Kingsolver--great quote & this blog built on it. I'm thankful Hope is also a person, and literally the definition of "Hatikvah," title of Israel's national anthem.
Today I hope for clarity, wisdom, and sure steps forward.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Great quote and beautiful post. I never thought about living in hope or admiring it from the outside.
I hope to reflect Jesus clearly to those around me, that they would see Him in me.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Gloria Rose said...

Yes, me too, Beth. Thanks for your words.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm in a rush this morning, Beth, but your post helped me pause, reflect and quite honestly, refocus on where my Hope *should* be. Thanks!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thank you, all, for sharing what you hope for too. You broaden my perspective.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope to leave this world having used every last ounce of strength loving and serving people for Him.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Reba J. Hoffman said...

I hope I never lose hope. Hope is what gets us out of bed on a dreary morning. It's what gives us the energy to place one foot in front of the other. It's the force that gives us the courage to go on, to fail forward, to abandon hurts in favor of the immeasurable blessings this day is chocked full of.
Ahhh... gotta love hope.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact