In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

NEWS FLASH: BABY CHANGES EVERYTHING AVAILABLE TODAY!




10 chapters.
188 pages.
17 "Cameo Appearances"--interviews with other mommies-come-lately--and one daddy-come-lately.
1 glossary of medical terms.
1 postpartum depression quiz.
Somewhere between 15-20 proofreads before going to print.
Available at Amazon or CBD or Barnes and Noble or ask for it at your local bookstore!

Here's what I've learned in the process of writing BABY CHANGES EVERYTHING:

It doesn't take all that much to write a book. All I had to do was be surprised--stunned--by an unexpected pregnancy at 41. Survive almost 5 months of all-day morning sickness, birth one kidney stone, and experience labor with a body that forgot what it was supposed to be doing.

Then all I had to do was survive an emotional case of identity theft as I plunged back into mothering a baby at the same time I started emptying the nest. I had to let go of what I expected my life to be so I could embrace what was.

I bet you're wondering where the writing part comes in, aren't you?

Well, there's a well-known writing adage: Write what you know.

I know a lot about being an older mom. It's who I am. It's what I do. And I've met a lot of older moms (and dads.) It's the biggest trend in motherhood in the past 10-12 years--and it isn't going away any time soon.

So, I pitched a book idea to MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers, International)--and they liked it. And with the help--and bloodthirsty critiques of my writers group, Inkspired, I wrote BABY CHANGES EVERYTHING.

In some ways, the story begins now because the book is finally available to all those other Mommies-come-lately out there. My goal for the book is stated in the introduction: to offer encouragement and practical advice to other late-in-life moms.

So let it be written. So let it be done.




3 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

Now this is a cause for dancing on the ceiling, don't you think? So proud of you for pursuing your dream and for writing for your heart to encourage other moms in the same situation.

It's already a success in my eyes.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

Found a typo. 'from' the heart not for...

That's why proofreading is important. I know you know what I mean..

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger JRVogt said...

Congrats, mom. It's only fair that you'd beat me to the bookstore. I'm excited to see it finally become available.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact