In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, August 10, 2007

The Grateful Day

True confession:
Most Fridays I think about skipping this blog.
Isn't that a terrible thing to say--er, write?
I have lots and lots of things to be thankful for. But usually, by the time Friday rolls around, I am so focused on all the things I still need to get done before the weekend rolls in. I think, "I don't have time to blog today. I have to answer my e-mail, do the laundry, edit some articles, work on my newsletters . . ."
You get the idea.
Deep in my heart and soul I know there's a huge problem if I can't take a moment or two to stop and be thankful. I'm going to miss out on savoring all the blessings--big and small--that came my way this past week. It's one thing to know I have reasons to be thankful. It's another to take the time to say, "Thank you."

Okay, I feel better now. Without further ado, I am thankful for:

  • how the laughter of friends filled my kitchen last night. There's nothing more heartwarming than talking and laughing with friends. There's nothing more satisfying then ending an evening with hugs and saying, "I'm so glad you came over tonight."

  • the chance to read aloud the Junie B. Jones books with my daughter Christa and my husband. Author Barbara Park created a delightful kindergartener name Junie B.--and her antics keep us all giggling.

  • the people in my life who take the time to speak encouraging words to me--who challenge me to be me, honestly and truly, and to not waste my time trying to be somebody else just because I think it will make others happy.

Now here's a thought:

Be you. Nobody does it better.

May your day be anchored in gratefulness.

4 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,
I found your blog a couple of days ago and have read all of the archives in two days :) I am 38 and SAHM to my first, Sarah Elizabeth, who is 15 months old. Thank you for your humor and insight, and for your Christ-centered perspective; An unlikely combination to find on the web. I will continue to check back for your new posts. Again, glad I found you.
Catherine

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Welcome, Catherine, a fellow mommy-come-lately! I am so glad you found my blog. I'd love to hear about your mommy-come-lately life!

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Amanda Mooney said...

Awesome blog Beth! I noticed the articles you've published on Minti and had to check out your blog. I am not a parent but your smart, thoughtful writing reminds me of my own mom so I really enjoyed reading your posts. Great to be introduced to the work and life you are leading:)

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I'm enjoying all the new friends finding my blog! Thanks for the encouraging words, Amanda! Welcome to my mommy-come-lately world!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact