In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Question About Breastfeeding

Yesterday I posted news of interest for moms. Several women commented on the article that said if new moms wanted to lose weight they needed to get more sleep. They're comments were along the lines of "Ha!"

However, no one commented on the article about some moms in Australia breastfeeding their children until they were 7.

Here's a recap:

A study of 107 women in Australia found that some women continued to breastfeed their children up to age 7 because the children enjoy the taste of breastmilk, the comfort it brings, as well as the sense of closeness to their mother. Some women were feeding up to a dozen times a day and one woman was feeding three children at a time.

Some pyschologists question the appropriateness of such extended breastfeeding, expressing a concern that there is too much physical and/or emotional dependence created between mother and child.

Here are my questions: What's your take on this? Is this extreme breastfeeding? Is this a MYOB (Mind Your Own Business) issue? Is this a wonderful bonding experience for mother and child?

Thoughts, anyone?

2 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Patricia said...

My friends thought I was extreme enough to have nursed Emily until she was 2 1/2. I was just not in any hurry, and neither was Emily. I don't believe that she ever drank from a bottle or used a pacifier. Ever. For a variety of reasons, I weaned the boys much earlier - Nick at 8 months, and Casey at about 12 months. 7 years does seem to me to be extreme. There are other comfort measures - like holding them close - that would seem to me to be more appropriate for a school-age child....but maybe that is just me.

What do you think?

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

My caboose kiddo is almost 7. I cannot imagine nursing her. I mean, she can walk to the refrigerator and get out her own yogurt and milk and make a sandwich is she wants to, for goodness sake!
If I want to be close to her, we snuggle and hug and read together and hold hands while we walk and talk.
So, this seems a bit extreme to me too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact