In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Reason to be Thankful for Late-in-Life Motherhood



Christa wanted to run an errand after school yesterday.


"I need a wallet," she told me, "so I can keep all my dollars in it."

Christa had just organized her purse, which meant she'd selected one from her stash and then put a photo of her cousin Caroline in it. Later, I added a little pink mirror, a notepad and some tiny pens.


Then I told Christa I needed a few things at the store too. She took out her notepad and pen, offering to write down my list.
  • Wallet
  • Comb
  • Butter
  • Rolls
  • Chicken Drumsticks


    Not a long list. Then, Christa said, "Wait, we need one more thing." She wrote another item on the list, and showed it to me:

  • Floers for mom (Flowers for mom)

I am so thankful for my caboose kiddo. She remembers to buy me "floers" just because she knows I love them.

Here's the funny thing: When we went to the store, Christa left her purse in the car. "I don't want to look too grown up," she told me.

I'm okay with that--I'm in no rush for her to grow up.




3 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

I hope you bought the flowers!

Sending you my love this Thanksgiving week!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger regina said...

Wow. Simply reading that has made me all verklempt. :) How super special.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Patricia said...

Adorable. I hope you bought the floers, too! I just posted about a misspelled "love note" from years ago.

I've never been in a hurry for my children to grow up. It seemed like every year I would want to freeze-frame time because I thought that they were all perfect...until the years when they began to spread their wings and fly from the nest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact