In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The (Early) Ups and Downs of Late-in-Life Motherhood

My just-turned 7-year-old daughter brought her own distinct personality into our family.

One character quality I'm still learning to adjust to?

Christa is a light-sleeper--and thus, she is an early riser.

When Rob gets up early in the morning to workout, Christa hears him, no matter how stealthy his steps down the stairs. Her smiling face will appear around the corner while he's sweating on the elliptical machine as if to say, "Aren't you glad to see me?"

This morning I managed to pull myself away from my warm covers and pillows--after a late-night read-a-thon--and came downstairs to blog. Rob warned me: Christa was already awake.

It was just past 6 a.m.

As a baby, Christa was my one child who did not take naps. Never ever. She also didn't sleep in the car, the place where all babies are lulled into la-la land. I would look in my rearview mirror and see her little blue eyes peering back at me, as if to say, "Yep, still here. Still awake. Don't want to miss anything."

After 7 years, I shouldn't be surprised that Christa can pop out of bed as early as 5:30 a.m. I should be thankful she's so cheerful at that time in the morning.

Now if only I could be a little more cheerful that early in the day too.

3 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More coffee...
(she mutters with hand outstretched and eyes barely open).

Enjoyed your card, though Dave was mystified about what "nablopomo" could possibly mean.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Or, in my case, a nice cup of caffeinated tea! Come on over--any time after 6 a.m.--and I'll provide either coffee or tea and mumbled conversation!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger As We Sail... said...

That's great that your word for this year is content. My favorite topic is Trust, and I posted about how reading our Bibles help us keep knowing more about God, which in turn causes us to know why we can trust him with our lives, giving us peace and contentment.
I've never made a resolution, but this year is my first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact