In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The caboose kiddo has a temp and mama's got the blues

Christa has been sick for three days now. I shouldn't be surprised. It's flu season, after all, and her school has been hit hard. But I thought Christa was going to get through unscathed.

Silly me.

Her temperature has gone up and down and back up again. She alternates between feeling lousy to feeling fine--and then she's back on the couch feeling lousy again.

And so, my schedule has been knocked a-kilter. I sit by her while she rests on the couch. Then I sneak into my office to check e-mail and edit some writing--all the while feeling guilty that I'm not sitting by my daughter.

I've let appointments slide and ignored my grocery list. Yesterday, I finally took her on a few errands once her temperature was normal. Of course, that didn't last long and I felt guilty for dragging my droopy kiddo out of the house.

Bad mommy.

I feel like that Push-Me-Pull-Me creature in Dr.Dolittle. I want to focus all my attention on Christa and what she needs right now. But I also know I need to focus my attention on other things like my huge To Do list for my upcoming conference. So I run back and forth, trying to meet her needs and my needs--and wearing myself thin in the process.

This too shall pass, I know.

But--not today. Christa's up and her temp is down, but she's still droopy and draggy, complaining of an upset stomach. I'm not sure she'll make it to school today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact