In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Half and Half

For the past few years, Rob and I have been experiencing a half-empy nest.

Our daughter, Katie Beth, moved into her own apartment. Our son Josh got married. We still had two daughters at home--Amy, who is 19, and Christa, who is 7.

That's a 50-50 split.

Things are about to change.

Josh and Jenelle are packing up their belongings--including a dog and a cat--saying goodbye to New York, and moving back to Colorado. Around March 1st, they will move into our basement apartment while they job hunt.

Katie Beth's roommate is getting married. With and extra year of college, Katie Beth asked if she could move back home to save money. So, come the end of April, we'll have another adult--and another cat--joining the family.

Will it be a little crowded? Yep. But we are okay with that. Not sure what all the animals are going to think about it. With our pets it makes a total of 3 dogs and 3 cats. Thank God for a big backyard.

Christa is thrilled. At last, all the older siblings who left her behind--plus a much-loved sister-in-law--are returning. It doesn't get any better than this.

And Rob and I are thankful Josh and Jen know they are welcome to use our house as home base while they get resettled in Colorado. We know it's temporary. But that's what family is for--help when you need it.

Eventually, the nest will empty again. I'll enjoy all the kiddos--the big ones and the little one--while they're home. And I'll get out of their way when it's time for them to move on again. I did it once before. I can do it again.

7 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Patricia said...

Oh, what fun! I've learned that this time in life is one in which we (moms) are in a constant state of embracing and letting go. Both the embracing and letting go are so much easier when we accept and enjoy them as gifts for the moment.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks, Patricia. Yes, I am embracing--again--and know I will be letting go--again. Amy is already talking about a missions trip to the Philippines this summer ... thinking about letting go already.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger JRVogt said...

Geez...for a second there I read it as Katie Beth was getting married. It surprised me at the shock that thought gave me, at realizing how much it would mean my sisters are adults now (which I'm sure they'd already hasten to assure me).

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Well ... I guess that would be one way to let big brother know--tell him in a blog!! Sorry about the shock so early in the AM.

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha Josh! I want you to know this would NOT be the way I tell you bout that! In fact, you have secondary rights to interrogate the poor guy :p (right after Dad) Love you tons!

KB

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

This is so fun to hear. I look forward to hearing the new memories you all create together.

Have fun, love, and laugh! Hold each other and always forgive. I'm sure there will be times for joy and times for tears. Embrace them all. May God bless your family.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger jen said...

Wow. This sounds fun, and I think I'm a little jealous. Can I move in too?

Just kidding.

I was the caboose kiddo in my family, and I remember my older siblings coming back home at various times while finishing degrees and such. It was nice to have a full house!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact