In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Growing Up Right Before My Eyes

Christa is losing her baby teeth.

She's got a gapped-tooth grin that is endearing. Two bottom teeth are missing and her top front tooth is hidden under her pillow even as I type this blog. The other front tooth won't be in her mouth for long.

Losing each tooth is a long, drawn out ordeal. Christa hates the wiggle-wiggle-wiggle effort required to get her teeth to budge.

I've got to admit, I hate to see her baby teeth go. It's not the process--although sometimes I grow a little weary of reminding Christa that she survived losing teeth before and she'll do it again. She doesn't need to be a dental drama queen--at least, not over baby teeth.

Once those new teeth come in, Christa's face will take on a new, more grown up shape. I'll lose sight of my little girl as she grows up, one tooth at a time.
So every time I cheer for my daughter when another tooth finally falls out, there's a part of me that's sad. I find myself taking extra peeks at her little face--and its silly, uneven smile--trying to imprint it in my memory.

Before I know it, Christa's little girl grin will be replaced, with "big girl" teeth--and a more grown up Christa.

I know I'll like that version of my daughter too. I'll just miss the "little girl" smile. I kind of got used to it.


2 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

Ahh, this made me a little misty. I hate the process of letting our kids grow up and yet so often I love seeing more mature changes.

Each stage of their lives leaves a picture in my mind. Precious.

I'm still waiting for Hannah's gums to fill in with "big girl" teeth after she had four baby teeth pulled months ago. She's okay with her gaps. I'm not. My pride says "hurry up, teeth" as I don't want her to be the butt of her classmates' jokes. Thank God she has a nice group of friends at school. So far no problems.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

My Amy was missing her 2 front teeth for several years, thanks to a dental mishap. Talking about waiting and waiting for teeth to appear!! It just became part of her "look"! The first big tooth appeared while we were riding out a hurricane in an evacuation shelter in Florida!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact