In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, March 06, 2009

All the To Do about the Hairdo!




Girls and their hair!

I am now embroiled in a discussion with Christa, my caboose kiddo, about her hair. Several years ago, she was all about growing her hair lo-o-ong. Any of you moms out their with daughters who have lo-o-ong hair know the kind of daily battles I had with Christa as I brushed, braided, twisted, pony-tailed, piggy-tailed, and untangled my daughter's hair. Sometimes multiple times a day.

Then Christa decided to donate her hair to Locks of Love--and she ended up with one adorable, short "do"! I mean, grown women commented on my daughter's hairstyle!

About a year ago, Christa started talking about wanting long hair again. I gotta admit, I had not missed the daily battles with brush and barrettes. But, over time I gave in and let Christa's hair grow. It is now just past her shoulders.

Yesterday--after a less-than-fun grooming session--Christa informed me that she was ready for a short haircut again.

I was relieved. And then Christa described the haircut she wanted. Now, with two grown daughters, I consider myself a pretty flexible mom. I survived two teen daughters, thank you very much! As Christa and I flipped through online photos of possible haircuts, she kept saying, "I want a diagonal cut." She even drew a picture of what she wanted. I kept hoping that it was missing something in the translation.

This afternoon, we found a photo that displayed the style Christa wants. Pardon me--but I just can't imagine my 8 year old with Victoria Beckham's (one of the Spice Girls) trendy do on her sweet little face.



What's a mom to do?

Well, this mom brought in the big guns--Christa's dad! Nobody can say "NO" and mean it like my husband. Then I promised we'd have some more fun surfing photos online and find a cute and appropriate style for her. I'm open to suggestions.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Beth, This post is HILARIOUS! I had the diagonal cut for a long time. It had to be clipped every THREE weeks to look great!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Well, I don't even get my hair touched up every 3 weeks! So, this do is out for my caboose kiddo!!

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an adorable cut, and works will with fine hair (Christa's looks fine in the pics). The hair in the face will make her crazy, but the cut is easily modified to trim the long lock in her face to match the left side of the head, and add a bit more of the short fringe to cover her high forehead. Come to think of it, that's similar to my cut right now. I'll email you a pic if I can find your address.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Look at y'all coming to my daughter's defense ... I'll make sure to post the final results.
Send the photo, Shirley, I'd love to see it!

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I feel bad...
Christa and I discussed her new hairstyle idea while you guys watched LOTR. I told her I thought it was a great idea. She was so precious telling me how it was going to look...using all sorts of wonderfully descriptive words and hand gestures. Too cute.
As her aunt, I say 'go for it' as a mom, I say 'too much work'...she would look adorable though...that girl has style!

Love your post Beth!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Now, why are you feeling bad? I'm not surprised Christa talked "dos" with her styling Aunt Theresa!
And it's all good ... I should let Christa read this blog ... and she'll know she's got all these women rooting for her. (No hair pun intended!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact