In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Beauty--and age--is in the eye of the beholder


The other day, Christa said to me, "Mom, I thought you were younger than you are."
I didn't say anything because, well, what do you say when your child says something like that?
She continued, "Until you told me how old you are, I thought you were in your 30s."
Sigh.
Nope.
Christa missed my 30s.
I have the distinct pleasure of knowing I am one of the oldest parents in Christa's third grade class. I don't wear a t-shirt announcing this fact. But I did have another mom make sure I didn't overlook this reality.
A few years ago, I was attending a school function. A mom I know came up to me and said, "My brother was looking around and he told me that some of the parents looked a lot older than most of the parents here."
Now, she's talking to me and looking right at me. And I know she knows Christa is my caboose kiddo.
I wanted to say something snarky like, "Oh really? Who was your brother staring at during the kids' musical peformance?" But I just smiled and then went out and stocked up on the latest anti-wrinkle creams.
Thinking Out Loud Here: Most days, I don't think about how old I am. And my sweet daughter thinks I'm in my 30s. Works for me. Christa looks at me through eyes of love--and that seems to have a wonderful anti-aging effect.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Anonymous tracey solomon said...

Hey-- I was the "young" mom 2 decades ago with my first two... got weird looks then, too.

(I've been asked if was the babysitter, several times:P)

Now- I'm also: the old mom at the elementary school.. Noah has no age clue. He's just glad his mom is there.

However--- we also have the advantage of being the YOUNG moms again at the college campus.. just saying.

I agree- love- is the ultimate anti-aging ingredient.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Shellie Braeuner said...

When children I work with ask me how old I am, I tell them I'm 85. THe younger ones accept it, and it keeps the older ones guessing!

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Evangeline Denmark said...

I don't know where my boys got it from, but they tell me I'm beautiful all the time. Even when I have bedhead and morning breath. They compliment me when I dress up and when I'm wearing yoga pants. And in those moments, I truly believe I'm beautiful. Amazing creatures, kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact