In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, June 10, 2011

In Others' Word: Dance



"Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another." ~Author Unknown


So this has been a week of dance rehearsals for my 10-year-old daughter. Tonight is the big night: the long awaited performance! Most of the family will be in the audience, ready to applaud and cheer as if Christa's the only one on stage. I'll be backstage, ready to help with costume changes and re-applying makeup.

Christa's been dancing for four or five years now. (I really need to figure out how long it's been.) This year she's so relaxed on stage. She's having fun--looking more and more like a "real" dancer. It's no longer about "Am I doing the steps right?" and all about "I love doing this!" Dancing has moved from her feet to her heart.

That's a lesson all of us can learn, whether or not we're dancers. Looking for me? You'll never find me up on stage twirling, tapping or leaping. Best place to find me: in my office, writing or editing.As a beginning writer, I focused on following the rules--getting it right. But now it's more about loving what I'm doing--and yes, still getting it right. But my passion is woven through all my efforts: writing, rewriting, editing. Even after the most challenging days, I wake up ready to write.


In Your Words: Where's your focus when you dance or write or do whatever you're passionate about? Are you thinking about the rules? Or are you listening to your heart?


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:45 AM, Anonymous Scoti Springfield Domeij said...

Love how you said this: Dancing has moved from her feet to her heart.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

I'm a dance with my heart kind of gal.

David (Bible David) and I would make great dance partners.

I have my own groove. ;)
~ Wendy

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Scoti--good to "hear" from you!
Wendy--glad to hear you've got your own groove! ;o)

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I'm gracefully-challenged, so I truly admire how dancers move with ease and poise. I'd look like a stumbling ox on stage. The rhythm didn't get me--it passed me by.

I dance with my heart when I write. I pour it out on paper and then go back to apply the rules where necessary. My editor is great at helping me to see what fits and what doesn't.

I found a wonderful quote the other day, but I don't remember who said it:

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Love that quote, LJ!
I once told someone I wasn't an artist. This person--I wish I could remember who--told me, "Yes, you are! You're a writer!"
Duh!
For some reason I hadn't equated writing with art like painting or dancing or singing.
But it is a form of art, a way we express ourselves.
I like how you said you dance with your heart when you write! Yes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact