In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

In Others' Words: Honesty






"No legacy is so rich as honesty." ~ William Shakespeare


Legacy. Inheritance. Something passed down from generation to generation. A legacy is created day by day--but how often do we think about our legacy as we  grocery shop, do the laundry, work at our jobs,discipline our children?

An inheritance can be something concrete like your great-grandmother's china or your mother's pearl necklace or maybe a wedding gown that's been stored in a trunk for decades.

But what about the intangible legacy we are leaving behind? Faith. Honesty. Forgiveness. Love. Compassion. How often do we purposely weave a legacy of character?

In Your Words: What kind of legacy do you want to leave behind?  


Photo by tutu55/stockxchng.com

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

All those that you listed.

Kindness, even when it's difficult. Grace. Humility. Determination for things God is leading me to...

And for the record, I am learning from YOU. ;)

~ Wendy

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Thanks for the thoughts today. I, too, have a number of things I hope are a part of the legacy I leave behind. Grace, passion for the Lord, honesty, kindness, one who loves well....I could go on, but I won't. Thanks for making me think about this, Beth!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Christ-centered passion and purpose.
Joy.
And lots of laughter.

And I echo Jeanne in saying thanks for making me think this morning! It's easy to think so "short-term" about everything, but your post caused me to stop and look at the bigger picture of my life.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Patricia said...

Excellent thoughts and question, Beth.

We are all in the process of leaving a legacy. My mother lived with rheumatoid arthritis and related auto-immune disorders for most of her life...and she did so with grace and humor. When I was diagnosed with RA a few months ago, the rheumatologist said, "this is a bad disease, you know." To which I was able to immediately respond that the legacy my mother left me was the ability to endure this with grace and humor. It's the same legacy I hope to leave behind, as well.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Wendy, thank you for your kind words. I love the conversation that happens here.
And I love the glimpses of the legacies each of you want to leave behind.
Patricia, your mother left you a rich, eternal legacy. I see you doing the same with your family.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Julee Baker said...

Thought provoking, Beth.

Love, truth, faith, strength... the ability to laugh at yourself... remembering to live in the present and not to judge... thankfulness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact