In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In Others' Words: Who?







I like this quote. It makes me pause. It makes me think. Am I striving to be something: a most-excellent writer and editor, perhaps? Or am I trying to be someone? The woman God intended me to be, using the gifts and talents that were entrusted to me.
Is my focus on the labels attached to me because of what I do? Labels like: writer, author, speaker, editor (The Evil Editor, to be exact), wife, mom, daughter, sister. . .
The list goes on and on. Truth is, that list can change too.
But do I want to be the sum total of those labels? Or do I want to be known as someone, not a something? Can people see past the labels and get to know me as a person? Yes--but only if I allow it to happen. 

In Your Words: Are you focusing all your efforts on being something--or someone? How's that working for you? Satisfied? Or is time to make a change and allow yourself to be ... just be you?



Photo by Bessarro/stockxchng/com

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I'd rather be Lisa, the woman God created to encourage and inspire than be labeled. My own internal self-destruction gets in the way of that lifelong goal at times. Thank God He's merciful and uplifting.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Sonia said...

Great post Beth! It's better to focus on the "someone" because the "something" can change without notice. The "someone" is who you are in Christ and is far more stable. I'd hope that any changes in the "someone" department are an improvement. (Think Romans 5:1-5.)

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

In my estimation, you both are two beautiful someones!

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Scoti Springfield Domeij said...

"Someone" was my Velveteen Rabbit for that I will be forever grateful.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

And you, Brill, are a one-of-a-kind someone!

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Gloria Rose said...

...a beautiful quote and post, serving as an exclamantion point to the verse throbbing in my heart this morning: "Don't let the world press you into its mold..." (Rom 12:2)Amen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact