In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In Others' Words: Risk




"You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen." ~Paulo Coehlo, Brazilian novelist


Can I really stop the unexpected from happening? 

Yes. If I cling so tightly to my plans, to the mindset of "this is how today must go" then, yes, I can overlook the unexpected. Ignore it. Miss it completely. And, in a very real sense, stop it from happening. At least as far as I know, the unexpected never occurred because I didn't acknowledge it.

What a shame. 

Yesterday went nothing like I'd planned. My daughter Katie Beth, aka The bride to be, fell and hurt her ankle. Badly. I am thankful that she didn't break it, but we spent a good part of the day determining that. 

I couldn't stop yesterday from spinning out of control. Looking back, I realize that life was fuller because of the mishap. Friends and family surrounded us with prayer and encouraging words and positive comments on Facebook. 

Would I prefer that Katie Beth not be injured? Of course! But in those unexpected moments there was good to be found. But to see the good, I needed to let go of the expected and embrace the unexpected.

In Your Words: Are you a risk-taker? How do you react when your plans for the day get upended by the unexpected? Have you discovered good in the unexpected?


photo by jscreationzs/freedigitalphotos.net

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

I hope Katie is on the mend. One of my sisters always seemed to be in a cast as a bridesmaid. I hope no casts are involved (and no pain).

I do take risks. And I've found I'm forced to learn from whatever happens as a result, good or bad.

Or maybe I'm not forced. Maybe I choose to. Hmm. Will now be thinking on this. ;)
~ Wendy

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks for asking about Katie. She's in a boot for 2 weeks and needs "aggressive" PT. Doesn't that sound like fun?
So now I know you're a risk-taker . . . good to know. And I like how you said you "choose" to learn from the risks you take. Great attitude.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Great post, Beth! So glad Katie Beth is on the mend. I'm a control freak more than a risk-taker, but God is continually and gently loosening my grip on those things I THINK I control. He has put me in situations where I have to trust Him and depend upon Him. When He brings risks into my life, I am learning to embrace them, rather than cling to what I think I control.

And, yes, I have definitely discovered good in the unexpected. God has allowed me to see His hand working on my behalf. I find myself overwhelmed by His love for me.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

God does have a way of prying our fingers off the idea that we are in control, doesn't he?

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Praying for Katie Beth, Beth! :) (I had a little too much fun writing that sentence.)

I am trying to be more of a risk taker. It's not my natural bent. But I've seen time after time of God working through the "unexpected" in my life. So I'm trying to be more open to having my own plans be disrupted! Especially if it's God doing the disrupting! :)

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

:O) Looking forward to seeing how God interrupts your life, Melissa--in a good way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact