In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, June 20, 2011

In Others' Words: Friendship

My friend, Barbara, my newly-married friend, Roxanne, and me.




A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are." ~Source Unknown






I almost used a generic "friends" photo for this blog post. And then I thought of all the a-ma-zing friends God has blessed me with and I decided to go with real-life friends, not some strangers in a stock photo. Then my dilemma was deciding what photo to choose ... which friends to feature?

I just came back from my friend, Roxanne's, wedding. Roxanne and I have known each other for at least 20 years. (We met in kindergarten. Yeah, right.) Another forever-friend, Barbara, came to the celebration too.

Friends like Barbara and Roxanne have made such a difference in my life. They've encouraged me through tough times, rejoiced with me, prayed for me when I couldn't, listened, said what needed to be said ... Their complete acceptance of me enables me to be real. No masks. No pretenses. Their friendships are truly gifts that I treasure.

In Your Words: When you stop and think about friends, how have they made a difference in your life? What qualities do you value the most in a friend?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

Waaaa! My best friend is moving. Waaa! Okay, now that I'm done with that, I look for kindness. It seems like such a simple thing to ask for, but it's somewhat rare. I value women who lift up other women, loyal women, and women who like to laugh.

~ Wendy

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

So sorry your best friend is moving, Wendy. That is a tough loss, I know!
Kindness is truly a precious attribute for a friend.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Wendy, I'm so sorry your best friend is moving away. That is difficult!

Beautiful picture, Beth! Those life time friends are precious indeed. Real friends have made a difference in my life by speaking truth to me, even when it was not easy. They have supported me and loved me through challenging times.

Things I look for in a friend is someone who is trustworthy, who is "real" and honest. Who is gracious, and yes, kind. :)

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Friends that speak the truth in love . . . invaluable.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Sarah Forgrave said...

There are so many different levels of friendship, aren't there? And it's a treasure to find "kindred spirits" (to steal the words of Anne Shirley).

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Ah, Anne Shirley and kindred spirits ... love them both, Sarah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact