In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, July 01, 2011

In Others' Words: Laughter



"What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul." 
~Yiddish Proverb



Soap applied to body = cleansing. 

Laughter applied to soul - cleansing.

Agree?

I've said it before and I'll most likely say it again: Laughter is my most favorite sound. My house was filled to overflowing with laughter last weekend. It overflowed with activities: a bachelor's party for my future son-in-love. A bachelorette's party for my daughter.(No, I did not attend.) Finishing up edits on my novel. A family photo shoot--my Mother's Day request. And a belated celebration of my son's birthday and Father's Day.

Whew! It was tiring to write that list.

But having family coming and going--and then finally staying long enough to enjoy grilling shish kebobs--provided lots of opportunities for laughter.

Laughter pushes the negative out of me--and sweeps in and renews my spirit.

In Your Words: What's the last thing you laughed about? Did it lighten your spirit? 

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

I really need to meet you in person! Are you going to ACFW?

I laughed pretty hard at myself (this is common) yesterday having to go to swim lessons with dozens of bright blue sparkles caught in my eyebrows and on my forehead.

I was hanging artwork on a ribbon and the sparkles jumped on my face. Couldn't get them off.

I think I'll hang more artwork with that ribbon today. ;)

Happy 4th!
~ Wendy

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

Yesterday I laughed with a good friend as she painted a mural on my kitchen wall. I laughed with an infant Little Darling as she's learning to giggle. I laughed with my youngest son who was being silly. Laughter soothes my soul and rights my world.

Wendy, I'd so love to see those blue sparkles caught in your eyebrows and forehead. :D

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Love your post, Beth. I laughed yesterday morning with one of my kids who has a naturally funny bent. Something was said that just tickled my insides.

I'll be looking for opportunities to laugh today, too.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Wendy, I am most definitely going to ACFW--and I will be looking for you! Be prepared for an "I'm so glad to finally meet you in person" hug!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I know my husband made me laugh last night . . . can't remember what he said, but we both just looked at each other and share a huge laugh!

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous tiffany @ tea w tiffany said...

I am in full agreement with laughter being my favorite sound. I'm so glad you are making sure to get some laughs in. This is a special time for your family. Enjoy!

I laughed as I watched Wipe Out last night. I don't know why people falling is soo funny.

Hugs,
T

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Oh, Tiffany, my kiddos love that show! Sometimes when I watch it I laugh--and sometimes I yell "Ouch!!"

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Sonia said...

When was the last time you laughed? Hmmm. My youngest is hilarious, so laughter is a pretty common occurrence, but my favorite is when the oldest laughs at her. Her laugh is my favorite sound in the world. Last time I laughed. This morning. Kevin and I were playing Wii with our youngest. I called her "Mii-ghan," her Wii name and she told me that the musical notes before & after her name meant I was supposed to sing it. I belted out the most horrendous version of singing I could possibly muster up (not hard to do at all). She then said to me, "Uhhh, we'll have to change that." (Referring to removing the musical notes from around her name.) She delivers the most hilarious lines with such a deadpan face. She's my comic relief in life! Thank you God for Meg's sense of humor and Kate's laugh.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Julee Baker said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact