In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Thursday, October 11, 2007

The "Mixed-Bag" of a Late-in-Life Mom

With three mostly-grown children, some days I almost forget I also have a 6-year-old.

Almost--but not quite.

My life is a mixed bag of mothering experiences--and I'm learning to enjoy them all.

There's a red paper heart stuck to my computer monitor with the words "i love you, c." scrawled on it in pencil. A little love note from Christa.

Just a few moments ago, my nineteen-year-old read me her essay on cloning--an assignment for one of her sophomore college classes. Earlier, Christa wrote out her spelling words and read a chapter aloud to me and then worked on her Bible verse for the week.

Earlier, Christa and I enjoyed an after school Slurpee run, while chatting about her day. And then my cell phone rang, and it was my son Josh, who lives in New York with his bride of five months--five months! He called to say hi, good son that he is, and to update me on his corner of the writing world.

And then it was time to pass the cell phone off to Christa, who sat in the backseat shouting, "Hi, Josh! Hi, Josh! Hellooooo, Josh!" until she got what she wanted--control of the conversation. She ended it by saying, "Hug Jen for me--and China and Munchkin!"
Jen is her sister-in-law. China is Josh and Jen's dog. Munchkin is their cat.

I managed a quick e-mail with my twenty-one-year-old daughter, trying to set up some face-to-face time this weekend. She only lives 15 minutes away.

It's a flexible mothering life I live these days.

And I'm not complaining.

Sometimes I don't know whether I'm coming or going. But I'll take motherhood however it happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact