In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

To Whom It May Concern

Christa's first grade teacher encourages letter writing. The class has a "mail box" and each student has a personal mail "cubby." (Why are those little rectangular slots for papers called "cubbies?")

Most of Christa's mail has consisted of invitations to birthday parties or letters from her girl friends saying, "Can you cum to my hous? If you can, pls call me." The paper is usually decorated with some lovely colored picture of a rainbow or butterfly or a horse.

Yesterday Christa came home with not one, not two, but three letters from boys in her class. All three boys wrote that they liked her. Of course, one boy wrote that he liked everyone in the "clss," so I'm not sure how seriously to take his note. None of the boys invited her over to their house.

"I don't know why the boys like me," Christa said.

"Christa, you know you are too young to have a boyfriend," I reminded her. "You can be friends with these boys. That's it."

"Okay, Mom."

"You're not flirting with these boys, are you?"

"What's that?"

Let's just say I'm relieved she didn't know what fliring was.

I confiscated all the notes from the boys. I also decided I'm not going to do anything about it--for now. But if any more notes come home from boys who are declaring that they like my daughter, I'm going to talk to the teacher. I'm all for encouraging kids to write letters. But shouldn't they be writing about something else? Like what they did during the weekend. Or where they're going for Thanksgiving break. Or why they hate gym class. Or what they want for their birthday . . . something else besides liking each other.

It's only first grade. That boy-girl stuff will happen soon enough.

2 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cubbies, from cubbyholes.

Here is an interesting reference that relates the origin to the Indo-European root ku-, which often has to do with a small dwelling.

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the 'I like you' of a first grader is innocent and harmless.(there's always an exception to the rule)
I remember a story of a neighbor boy being admired by several of the girls in his first grade class. When someone inquired about the interest, one girl said, "I like him because he is nice and because he is clean." How cute is that?
My son Mac has 'liked' girls for several years now and his reasons range from, 'she's funny/nice, she has a nice haircut', etc.
I think it's wonderful that Christa is well liked by her peers. She's a sweetheart. How could they not like her?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact