In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Thoughts on Motherhood

With thanks to one of my favorite mom-writers, Erma Bombeck:

  • It is not until you become a mother that your judgment slowly turns to compassion and understanding.

  • Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth.

  • No one ever died from sleeping in an unmade bed. I have known mothers who remake the bed after their children do it because there is wrinkle in the spread or the blanket is on crooked. This is sick.

  • Somewhere it is written that parents who are critical of other people's children and publicly admit they can do better are asking for it.

  • The art of never making a mistake is crucial to motherhood. To be effective and to gain the respect she needs to function, a mother must have her children believe she has never engaged in sex, never made a bad decision, never caused her own mother a moment's anxiety, and was never a child.

6 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Rachelle said...

Cute list! Of course, my childen KNOW I am absolutely perfect, and strive desperately to attain my level of perfection. (wink wink)

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

;O)
I gave up on perfection a long time ago. I think it was the day my first child was born.
LOL

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Patricia said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Erma Bombeck.

"Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth."

Too funny!

Hope your weekend has been perfectly delightful, Beth.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

She has so many great quotes, doesn't she?

I really love that woman. But who doesn't!?

Every mom should be given books by her.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

That wise woman knew motherhood inside,outside,upside down. Before I was a mom, I thought she was funny. Once I was a mom, I knew she was RIGHT. She was still funny, but she was also so, so RIGHT!!!!

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Thank you thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact