In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Where Have All the Parents Gone?

I'm just thinking out loud here.

It's Thanksgiving Feast time in Christa's class. I'm helping make calls to the moms (or dads, I'm really not picky) to have them contribute to the feast. Chicken legs instead of turkey, because it's easier for the kiddos to eat. Mashed potatoes. Dessert. You know, those sorts of things.

Only problem? It's hard getting hold of any of the parents.

Where is everybody?

I'm on Day #3 of calling. I've called families at least three times before reaching someone. I had one parent call me back. (Thank you, Izzy's mom.) I still haven't contacted all the families on my half of the class list.

I've called during the day. I've called early in the evening. I've called later in the evening.
Again, my question is: Where is everybody?

When I do reach a parent, she (or he) is always glad to help. That's not the problem. The problem is reaching someone.

I'm beginning to think everyone else is just as busy as I am. I am beginning to think everyone else is too busy--just like I am.

And if the parents are too busy, the kiddos are too busy.

Our habits become our kiddos' habits.

Busy parents make for busy kids.

Like I said, just thinking out loud here. But, I think I'm on to something. I'm calling people--and nobody's home.

Are we spending too little time at home with our children?

Just wondering.

5 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

Not sure why no one is calling. Busyness is a problem. But had no idea is could be that big, starting in first grade.

I'm busy driving my freshman to and from practices. It bugs me. I'm not as busy with my fifth grader. She has only an hour commitment on Wednesdays.

I value down time. It's important to me for my family to be home together and just BE!

Hope someone calls you back..

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Tea with Tiffany said...

PS Is freshman a word? Or is it freshmen? Or my ninth grader?

Thinking out loud like you..

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Groove Momma said...

I think having unstructured, creative time regularly helps a child develop. It's just as important as having enriching activities. We could learn a lot about our children just by hanging out and letting them come up with their own activities!

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I have to say I agree. Sometimes are children are doing too, too much. Sometimes I'm doing too, too much--and Christa has to go along for the ride.

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am enjoying catching up w/ your blog. =)
I too have been frustrated when trying to contact parent volunteers by phone. Have you tried emailing?
I find this to be a great way to reach the majority of classroom parent volunteers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact