In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Birthday Party Confession


Christa had a belated birthday bash last Saturday. Yes, we shared cake and ice cream--and presents!--with the aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents back in Maryland on Christmas Eve. But, I promised Christa a kids' party too, once we got back to Colorado.
Call me crazy.
After you read this blog, you'll call me irresponsible.
We celebrated at a local gymnastics studio--"we" being Christa and 17 other kids. Call me crazy again. The guest list started with the 12 girls in Christa's class and then we added several other special friends ... and there you have it: 17 kids.
Rob and I drove Christa and 4 of the party-goers to the gym. It was only slight pandemonium as we gathered the kids. We separated them from the presents, preparing to go into the gym and let them jump on the trampoline, ride the zip line and slide down the shark slide.
That's when things went wrong--although I didn't realize that right away.
As our party entered the gym, another party exited the gym to go upstairs and have cake. One of Christa's friends heard, "Cake!" and decided to go upstairs and indulge. Yep, a party-crasher.
Meanwhile, Rob and I are running around the gym, trading off the camera, taking pictures, keeping an eye on our 17 minus 1 kids, who have been divided into two groups. Please tell me you can see how easy it was for me to lose track of one kid.
30 minutes later the little boy returns, stuffed with cake, goody-bag in hand--and happy. Rob asks me, "Do you realize he hasn't been here?"
No.
And obviously, the other mother didn't realize she had an extra guest, either. We were told he was very polite--saying "Please" and "Thank you" and admitting he knew no one at the other party.
Yes, I confessed all to the boy's mother. She laughed, which allowed me to laugh--and finally breathe again. I really am too old for this (The Mommy-Come-Lately Mantra.) And now I am confessing it to anyone and everyone who reads this blog.
Anyone else care to share a birthday-party-gone-wrong story?

4 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! What a horrifying thing to have to admit to another parent!

I don't have any party horror stories yet, but I was actually thinking of having my kids' joint birthday party at a gymnastics club, too, and my guest limit is 15. I thought this sounded great, but maybe not so much now that I read your story!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

All I can say is: Do a head count. Then do another one. And another one.
The gymnastic studio was a great, fun party for all the kiddos ... and an easy party for me--except for the emotional trauma from misplacing one child.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Heather said...

All's well that ends well right? Maybe it will be funny in a few years (oh perhaps especially so if they were to get married one day!). How were the goody bags? Did said boy eat cake for a second time also? That's just too funny!

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Yep, the young guy had two servings of cake.
I kept the goody bags simple ... consumable: goldfish treats, fruit rollups, sweet tarts (all Christa's favorites) and a fun pencil. Nothing too over-the-top because the gymnastic studio was a bit pricey--but well worth it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact