In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pardon Me For A Sentimental Mom Moment

Photo by LJM Photography


So, Christa, my caboose kiddo, is growing up way-too fast.
And, yes, I don't know how that happened.
When Christa was born, I had three teenagers, so I knew how quickly the years rush by. It had already happened with her brother and sisters.
Christa tries to fast-forward her life sometimes because she's thinking somehow--magically!-she'll catch up with Josh, Katie Beth and Amy.
But this week, Christa surprised me. She's requested a bit of a rewind in her life. And we're both enjoying it.
When Christa was a baby, I rocked her to sleep. And while we rocked, I sang certain songs to her. One of her favorite fall-to-sleep songs was the "ABC" song. Yes, the little ditty preschoolers use to learn the alphabet.
I don't know why this became a favorite song. Maybe in one of my exhausted mom moments, when I'd run through my entire song list, I sang "ABCDEFG blah, blah, blah" out of desperation. And it became a regular bedtime song.
Back to this week. It's been months since I've sat beside Christa and sung her to sleep. Several nights ago, she had a difficult time falling to sleep. So, I snuggled up next to her, rubbed her back, and started singing all her old favorite bedtime songs. Including the "ABC" song.
She's requested songs and snuggles every night this week.
And, I've got to admit, I've enjoyed those moments with my daughter.
Silly, sentimental mom that I am.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger Evangeline Denmark said...

Lovely post and lovely picture. I sang to my boys and still sing to them once in awhile. Somehow they both ended up with special songs that are "theirs." Caedmon's is "Lazy Boy" which is very sweet despite the name. And Finn's is "Bicycle Built for Two."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact