In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, March 07, 2011

Learning the Posture of Prayer

Photo by rockpuppet/stockxchange.com





Certain thoughts are prayers. There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
~Victor Hugo, French poet




That whole praying without ceasing thing? (1 Thessalonians 5:17) I'm getting it down. Sometimes it's a sheer act of desperation--not much more than a, "Lord, have mercy, Lord, have mercy," mantra that bows my soul to the ground. Sometimes it's a "Wow-oh-wow-oh-wow" kind of thank you to God that causes my soul to lift its hands to the sky. And at all times, I'm amazed that God says his ears are opened to our prayers. (2 Chronicles 7:15)


So what's your soul's prayer posture?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Sonia said...

My prayer posture? All of above and then some. It's easy to "pray without ceasing" when you have a life full of challenges, triumphs, great friends & family, and a front seat to those God-moments that are present every day when you stop to look & listen to that still small voice. Thanks for being one of those great friends who prays life with me!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the quote and your words about the quote, Beth! Then I tried to answer the question about my prayer posture...and I fumbled. Maybe because, to be painfully honest, too often my prayers feel muttered on the run rather than the committed, on-my-knees (figuratively, and maybe even literally) posture I want. Thank you for spurring me on through your post today!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Sonia--I find that those friends I can pray spontaneously with are the most treasured.
Melissa--I know all about praying on the run. Those prayers count too. I even pray when I'm on the treadmill. I've also prayed face-down on the floor . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact