In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, March 04, 2011

What Do You See?

Photo by stock.xchange.com/trolf



"As we grow old, the beauty steals inward."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson, American poet & essayist

I love the contrast in this photo: age and youth, both enthralled with the other. And who is to say what holds the greater beauty? The wide-eyed innocence of new life or the experiences and wisdom hidden behind wrinkles and gray hair?

Did Emerson get it right? When you see yourself getting older, do you think, "How beautiful?"


Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

What a great word picture "Beauty steals inward." I suppose as we grow older and more experienced, either beauty or bitterness (or perhaps something else?) will take root inward as we grow through those experiences. I hope my eyes will see the beauty God is working within me and not the shortcomings as I grow older. :) Thanks for the thought provoking post, Beth!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

You're right, Jeanne: something takes root inside of us. What will it be? Beauty? Bitterness? Hope? Despair? We definitely have a choice in the process.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Christine Long said...

What a wonderful picture! Emerson's quote is beautiful also. Through the years I have seen those who have a lovely spirit in their younger years continue to allow that spirit to bloom as they age. I pray that I am able to hold a beautiful spirit as I age.

Thank you for sharing!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Christine,
The opposite is true too. A negative spirit that goes unchecked only becomes more negative as years go by.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Cynthia Wilson James said...

"Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised." Proverbs 31:30

This IS a beautiful photo. I pray that I'm the type of old woman that younger women can't wait to talk to because "Mrs. Cynthia gives good advice!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact