In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, May 24, 2010

My Kind of Happily Ever After

Today is my 30th wedding anniversary.

Thirty.

I almost double-checked the dates on our marriage certificate to make sure I hadn't made a mistake on the anniversary total. Even though my wedding photo is a bit faded, the ink on the certificate still states in bold black: May 24, 1980.

I married Rob Vogt 30 years ago.

When I got married, 30 seemed so old. Now I'm way-past 30 and I don't feel old at all. (For the record, feeling tired is not the same thing as feeling old.)

I thought about highlighting each of the 30 years by selecting one definitive memory for that year. I quickly realized how impossible that was.

Sure, 1983 is the year our son Josh was born--but there are so many other memories wrapped up in that year. 1986 is Katie Beth's year to arrive. The memory for 1988 would be our daughter Amy. Fast-forward to 2000 and you'd hear a million memories about our caboose kiddo, Christa.

And those are just the memories that define us as parents.

There are friendships-around-the-world and military-mandated moves, thanks to Rob's Air Force career. Walks along the coast of Florida and hikes in the Rocky Mountains. There are too many nights apart because of hospital call schedules and at least one family Christmas dinner in a hospital cafeteria and just about every New Year's Eve on call.

We've had break-your-heart hardships and moments we've looked at each other and wondered, "How did we get here--and how do we fight our way out?" There are frustrated silences and my husband's willingess to always ask forgiveness first.

We've celebrated and we've cried. We've laughed together and always, always found time to dance in the kitchen--and include our kids in the dance.

We've forged a family.

With the oh-to-quickly passage of time, we've written our very own happily ever after.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger Keli Gwyn said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you and your hubby have a wonderful time celebrating your thirty years of togetherness.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Patricia said...

Congratulations!!!! Happy Anniversary, Beth. May God continue to bless you for happily ever after years to come.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Evangeline Denmark said...

Congratulations! Love you guys.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

So what do we do to celebrate? Went on a day hike! That's what you do in Colorado!

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Your other Daughter :-) said...

This made me cry. I love your passion and love for everything you do in your life. You're such an inspiration to me, thank you.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

And, oh yes! We learned there is always room for one more!
Love you, other-daughter!
;o)

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger dawn said...

Beth- Ian W.'s mom here. :) Ian told me you were an author a while ago and was just reminded to look you up...so I did and stumbled on your blog. I just have had a chance to read a few entries, but am glad to learn of your ministry to mommy-come-latelies. :)

Had to post, cause yesterday was our 20th anniversary--and my post was an anniversary post as well. God bless you with 30 more years together!

Enjoy your summer with sweet Christa.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Hello to Ian W.'s mom! I too have a sunglass photo . . . must go find it! And congrats on 20 years. Celebrating anniversaries all around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact