In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, June 13, 2011

In Others' Words: Childhood






"All grown-ups were once children. (But few of them remember it.)" ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery



Ah, childhood.
I think back to summer nights, staying out late with my siblings and the other neighborhood kids. Playing hide-n-go-seek under the glow of the street lights until our moms called us inside. Watching with fascination the on-off-on-off glow of lightning bugs that we'd captured in a glass jar. The toasted sugary goodness of marshmallows cooked over the still-hot coals in the BBQ grill in the backyard.

In Your Words: Favorite childhood memories, anyone?
Is there anything you miss from your when-you-were-younger years?


Photo by blue boy/stockxchng.com

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

My grandparents had a dairy farm down the road from us. My favorite memories are camping by the creek, building hay forts in the barn, and huge family get-togethers during the holidays. I miss the simplicity and innocence of those days.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

I am blessed with many fun childhood memories (including catching lightning bugs in a jar). I loved going places with my family. We visited some friends who had a farm in Missouri and played with them outside all day long.

One year, we drove to Florida and Canada in one trip one year. Loved seeing different parts of the country and hearing my parents' memories of those areas, seeing places, and always playing in the hotel pool at the end of a long day of driving. Thanks for bringing up pleasant memories.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I too remember family vacations to Vermont ... long drives, yes, but fun times once we got there!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Stacy S. Jensen said...

We had Cuban neighbors, which was pretty exotic for our rural North Georgia town. One time we were so dirty from playing outside, Doc (a vet) sprayed us with a water hose before we could go inside to eat. His wife Dulce served up spicy chicken, black beans and rice. We had pound cake with orange sherbert for dessert. I think of them every time I eat sherbert.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Sounds like you had some great neighbors, Stacy!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Keli Gwyn said...

The thing I miss most is feeling like I had all the time in the world. =)

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Ah, yes--summer lasted forever back then!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so with Keli. I miss that feeling of time lazing by...sitting out in the treehouse reading without a single thought as to the time...:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact