In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, July 11, 2011

In Others' Word: Love








"Love is not something you feel. It's something you do."~David Wilkerson, pastor


My daughter, Katie Beth, gets married this Friday.

As this day approached, I experienced so many different emotions. 

Excitement. 

Joy. 

Pride. 

And mixed with those feelings were other emotions.

Sadness.

Just a dash of worry. 

Regret--that I didn't have just a little more time with her.

When her dad walks her down the aisle to Nate, I will smile through my tears. And I've told Katie Beth my tears will be happy ones. (Mostly.)

We've talked a lot about the wedding in the past few months. We've also talked a lot about being married. The wedding and reception lasts for only a few hours. A marriage lasts forever

Rob and I've been married for 31 years. We've never pretended to have a perfect marriage. How do fake something like that? But our children know that we are committed to one another--for better, for worse. And--as I like to say--when you get married, you aren't thinking about "the worse" part.

I know I'll share a few words with my daughter before the wedding. Not sure what I'll say ... but I know I'll tell her I love her.

In Your Words: Weddings. Marriage. Do you have any special memories? Or any favorite quotes? Or words of wisdom?





photo by arki/stockxchng.com 

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Elaine Stock said...

Beth, I pray that your daughter and her husband-to-be have a blessed union of years of joy and health. My husband and I just celebrated our 29th and although we've been through our shares of ups and downs, with God's help, we're still moving forward together.

Elaine
Everyone's Story
elainestock.blogspot.com

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Ahhh, Beth. I can only imagine a shadow of all that is going through your heart and mind in these days leading up to the wedding. :) We've been married for a little over 15 years. As wonderful as our wedding was (and it was), growing through the ups and downs of our marriage relationship is what brings the fondest memories. The things we've learned in being a husband and wife have deepened who we are.

If I had two nuggets of wisdom I could share, they would be to 1. Learn what repsect looks like for her husband--this will save some heartache and fighting. 2. Resolve issues, as often as possible, before the day ends. These have been biggies for my husband and me. :)

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks for your insights, Elaine and Jeanne. They were excellent--and so true.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all of you. Such exciting times, but I know you have very mixed emotions. I can only imagine. My oldest is twenty and I'm afraid we'll be planning a wedding before I'm ready. :) She's been dating the same boy for three years, but I keep telling her not to get married until she's thirty.

My advice to your daughter would be to compliment her husband. Everyday. Not only will it build HIM up, but it will be a reminder to HER when she forgets why she ever liked him in the first place. (It's bound to happen, right?)

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

I love reading these nuggets of wisdom. My hubby and I have been married for 22 years in October. We've had our growing pains, but I love him to pieces.

My advice for them is to put God first in their marriage and everything else will fall into place. A marriage of three--God, spouse, self--in that order is a bond that's so hard to break. My greatest wish...sigh.

Congrats to your family, Soul! We expect lots of pictures!

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Y'all are so wise. I will pass these bits of perspective (aka wisdom) on to my daughter.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Sarah Forgrave said...

Wow, now that I have a daughter, I'm picturing her all grown up and wearing a white dress. *sniff* Okay, so she's still in diapers, but it goes fast, doesn't it? :)

As for advice, mine would be to forgive and ask for forgiveness often.

Hope it's a wonderful week for you, Beth!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Yes, Sarah, the time goes fast--faster than you ever imagine.

And my kiddos have taught me more about real forgiveness than anyone else.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Bobbie said...

Jim and I are heading for 44 years of marriage on 8-24. We have had some ROUGH times but always remembered that we made a commitment and vows before God. We never go to bed with out kissing good night, no matter what. The Bible tells us to not let the sun set on our wrath. When I get "ticked off" I just remind myself of my own faults and what he has put up with from me. I love the other folks advice i.e. Respect and tell him something good about himself everyday. I like to tell newlyweds to remember that the Bible tells in both the old and new testament that "you are to leave your parents and cleave to each other and become one." (My paraphrase) My love to all of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact