In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

In Others' Words: Failure






"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." ~Robert F. Kennedy


Sometimes the fear of failing stops me from beginning a new project. All the thoughts of "I can't" and "I'll fail at this" play through my head. I look into the future and all I see is a dead end.

You know what I love about the quote in today's post? It's how Kennedy puts a positive spin on failure. "... dare to fail greatly ... " I like the sound of that. Do I dare to fail greatly? Do I throw myself into my passion, knowing that, yes, I might fail--but I may just achieve even more than I imagine.

Is pursuing my dream--my dreams--worth the risk of failing? Absolutely. If I fail, I'll figure out what I did wrong and try again. I'll ask for help from someone who's succeeded. I've learned there's always someone willing to come alongside me and help or pray--or do both.

In Your Words: Does the thought of failure prevent you from pursuing your dreams? What one thing is worth daring to fail greatly? Has someone come alongside you and helped you when you've struggled?



Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

God has been using key words lately to help me stay focused on doing the final edits on my current WIP. For a while, I was so frozen with it not being good enough that I couldn't move forward. Then I realized my expectations for myself were too high. I'm writing to the best of my ability. And I have a terrific team in place who are not going to see me fail. Between my critique partners, my agent, and my editor, we will whip this novel into the very best it can possibly be.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

I've been blessed with some wonderful people who've been willing to come alongside me in different dreams at different times. That is one of my favorite things about being a Christian...watching how His people uplift one another.

And I dare to fail. It's never fun to actually fail, but like you said there's always a lesson in it.
~ Wendy

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

It's always less scary to fail when there's someone walking along with me--someone who can pick me back up and say,"OK, that wasn't the end of the world. Try again." It's the beauty of Ecclesiastes 4:10.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Stacy S. Jensen said...

I get a little frozen in my writing too. I can relate to Lisa. In other areas of my life, I've been blessed to just move forward. (Today, Beth I passed along a Stylish Blogger Award to you. I've enjoyed your posts. I'm glad I learned about you and your blog through Scoti at Springs Writer.)

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

For years the thought of failure prevented me from pursuing my dream of writing. I never thought I was good enough to "be a writer." So, I never tried. Until God gave me the seed of an idea and a wonderful friend to walk with me through the learning process as an encourager and a mentor. And a friend.

I may "fail." I may never get published, but I'll never know what God can do through me unless I dare to attempt to put this story into words on paper. Thanks for the thoughts, Beth

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Scoti Springfield Domeij said...

I think failure is success in disguise. We can't achieve success unless we try.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Stacey, thank you for the encouragement.
Jeanne--the concept of what God can do through us--that's what keeps me going.
And, Scoti, aka "Brill"--once again, you nailed it. "(F)ailure is success in disguise." Love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact