In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Friday, July 15, 2011

In Others' Words: Marriage



My daughter Katie Beth & Nate, her husband-to-be



"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person." ~Mignon McLaughlin, American journalist and author

I am writing this blog post sixteen days before my daughter's wedding. You are reading it on July 15th, her wedding day.

I'm already imagining how I will feel on the day--that bittersweet tangle of emotions. Happiness. Sadness. Pride. Regret. (Did I do enough? Say enough? Pray enough? You don't stop praying just because your child gets married.)
I know that I know that I know that Katie Beth and Nate love one another. And I know that I know that I know that they will face challenges that will test their love for each other. Every married couple does.

As I untangle my emotions, I am going to choose to be joy-filled and happy for my daughter and my son-in-love. I won't focus on missing my daughter. Instead, I will thank God for how he answered the prayers my husband and I prayed for our daughter's future husband--with Nate.

The future is here. Now.

I will stand to the side and watch them embrace it.

And I will never stop praying for them.

It's what a mom does.

  

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 4:49 AM, Blogger Patricia said...

Amen, Beth! A mother never stops praying.

So excited for all of you this day. May the Lord truly bless you and keep you this day - making His face shine upon you and give you peace and grace and all things good!

Much love,
Patricia

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

:O)
Thank you for you prayers and encouragement, Patricia!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Beth, The. Day. Is. Here. I'm sure it will be filled with a myriad of emotions. May God be the One who soothes them over with His peace and joy. You, and your family, are in my prayers today. May this day be memorable in the very best of ways!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Keli Gwyn said...

Beth, I hope all the planning and preparation pay off in a beautiful ceremony and fun-filled reception and that you experience a profound sense of peace as Katie Beth and Nate join their lives.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

My mom is 62-years-old and prays daily for us. I'm so thankful for those prayers.

As a mom who has boys growing up, I pray for their futures and have to place them in God's hands.

Overwhelmed with joy for your family today. You're not losing a daughter--you're gaining another son. What a blessing.

Hugs!!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Jenny Sulpizio said...

Hi Beth!

I can only imagine the thoughts going through your head on this day and the prayers that will encompass each hour. I pray for my children all of the time...that is one thing that will never cease in my daily routine.

I am a new writer and a self-published one at that who is attempting to try this whole traditional route of publication path once again.

So glad I stumbled on to your blog and look forward to reading more.

Blessings,
Jenny Lee Sulpizio
Author of "Mommy Whispers"
http://www.jennysulpizio.com

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous slate roof repair nj said...

I too agree that marriage of ones daughter is a wonderful experience.Apart from happiness there is an air of sadness and memories of moments spent together.I hope that your daughters marriage goes smoothly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact