In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

In Others' Words: Love




"Love is more than a noun -- it is a verb; it is more than a feeling -- it is caring, sharing, helping, sacrificing."
~William Arthur Ward, author


"I do."

When a couple exchanges their "I dos" in the wedding ceremony, what are they agreeing to?

I know. I know. The pastor has them repeat the vows after him.That's what they are "I do-ing."

But really ... the bride and groom are agreeing to so much more.

Not that you or I could tell them that. The minister never stops the ceremony and asks, "Does anyone want to chime in here? Does anyone want to tell this man and this woman some realities of married life? The good and the, um, not so good?"

Nope. Never gonna happen.

And it shouldn't.

My relationship with my husband is just that--mine. Your relationship with your spouse is yours alone. Sure, I could tell you my story. I could listen to yours. But the truth is, the best thing I could do for the bride and groom is to celebrate their choice to love one another. And then to encourage them to ensure their story is woven through with love. And forgiveness. And definitely with a sense of humor.


In Your Words: Any favorite memories from your wedding day? I've already told my daughter that something will go wrong on her wedding day--something always does. But we'll deal with it and it will become part of her story. 



Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Katie Ganshert said...

My maid of honor's husband is the worship arts leader at the church we used to go to when we lived in Madison. I will never forget the song he sang and how beautifully he sang it. Listen to Our Hearts. Ryan and I both got goosebumps. Couldn't ask for a better gift.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I think the music is on of the most significant parts of any wedding ceremony, Katie!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Stacy S. Jensen said...

A storm rolled in 15 minutes before our outdoor ceremony began. I was determined to get married with Sylvan Lake in the background. Family and friends grabbed umbrellas and jackets. Uncle Dave cut a poem and stuck to the vows. It rained. After we walked down the aisle, the clouds broke, thunder clapped and the sun began to shine. Everyone dried up before walking to the reception hall. Now, everyone says, "That was a memorable wedding." And, thankfully, no one became sick after being in the rain for 10 minutes. We were very blessed.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Scoti Springfield Domeij said...

When I was a wedding photographer, the best part of every wedding was waiting to see what didn't go as planned, or not planned and how everyone responded. The last wedding I attended, the groom fell backwards. While the audience chimed in, "Catch him. Catch him." Because of his age, we didn't know if he was dead or just fainted. The wedding stopped until he felt better. Made for great jokes at the reception. Best advice? Enjoy the day.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Love all these memories . . .
My son and daughter-in-love also had an outdoor wedding. May 6--in Colorado! Little tiny snowflakes, like crystals, starting falling at the beginning of the ceremony. The sun broke through the clouds as they said their vows.It was like something out of the movies!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Lisa Jordan said...

Hubby and I eloped. I got married on a Monday afternoon in a judge's chambers while wearing a peach dress given to me by my new mother-in-law. Hubby surprised me with a bridal bouquet because he said, "Every bride needs flowers on her wedding day." We had planned to have a church family at home the following May, but he had out-to-sea orders that weekend and I was already pregnant with our first son. I remember how happy I was at that time. I loved marrying him. We celebrate 22 years in October.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Wonderful story, LJ. I love that your mother-in-law bought you the dress.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

One of my favorite memories from our wedding day was when my father walked me down the aisle. He was so somber, trying to commemorate the "giving away" of his daughter. When he was asked, "And who gives this woman....?" He answered, "My mother and I." A second after his words sunk in, laughter filtered through the sanctuary, easing the nerves and making for a fun story later. I was also blessed by seeing so many people who had poured into my honey and I celebrating and encouraging us as we took this step.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Jeanne, a sense of humor . . . a must-have on the wedding day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact