In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

In Others' Words: Rest



"One hand full of rest is better than two fists full of labor and striving after the wind." Ecclesiastes 4:6


Back when I taught women's Bible studies, I loved doing word studies. It was so intriguing to dig into the meaning of words and watch the deeper truths of a verse unfold.
Take the word "rest" in today's quote. Rest. Quietness. A quiet attitude. Hhhmmm. Discovering that perspective on "rest" begins to turn the verse differently for me.
What about the word "labor"? Toil. Trouble. Mischief. Mischief? That makes me think of being somewhere I don't belong and doing something I ought not to be doing ... am I going to get caught? 
Last word: "wind." (Did you think I was going to look at the word "striving?" It means .... striving.) Wind. A vain, empty thing. 

Rephrasing Ecclesiastes 4:6: One hand full of a quiet attitude is better than two fists full of toil and striving after vain, empty things.

Sometimes I think doing is the most important thing. What do I have to show for all my efforts at the end of the day? This truth tells me that being quiet--learning to cultivate an attitude that allows me to rest--ensures that I am not wasting my time pursuing things of no value.

In Your Words: Rest or striving? Which is more your modus operandi? How do you cultivate rest?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

You know, reading this I was thinking I have a really difficult time sitting still. The most quiet I become is when I'm working on a piece of furniture, likely painting. That chills me out. But I'm not good at just sitting. It's an art to learn how to do that.

(thanks for the "like". :D)
~ Wendy

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Wendy,
Let's just say this post was timely for me. A very personal, um, pondering ...
You're easy to "like."

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Great post, Beth. It's hard for me to sit, but I'm working on cultivating a quiet attitude, especially during busy times. My times with the Lord help me in this. Working on incorporating it into other parts of my day. :)

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Jeanne, I've seen your active boys, so I understand how hard it is for you to just sit. :O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact