In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Monday, July 18, 2011

In Others' Word: Perspective







"When the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, it may be that they take better care of it there." ~Cecil Selig



The grass is always greener ...
Come on, finish the sentence with me: on the other side.
Is it? Really?
Or are we just spending too much time hanging over that fence looking at what "they" have and then thinking about how we don't have it.
Maybe we need to turn around and take a better look--a more grateful look--at what's on our side of the fence.
Sure, our lives aren't perfect.
Guess what? Those folks on the other side of the fence with all that green grass? Their lives aren't either. We don't know that because we aren't living their lives.
And we never will.
You and I have one life to live--ours. With all it's imperfections. And all the good things too.
Want some greener grass on our side of the fence? That's our responsibility.


In Your Words: I used to get tripped up by wanting what other people had. The house. The car. The clothes. The "greener grass syndrome" leads to nothing but discontent. What about you? How's your grass looking? 





photo by linder6580/stockxchng.com

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Olivia Newport said...

Recently I heard a speaker say that if you're tempted to go where the grass is greener, it's the Holy Spirit telling you to water the ground you're standing on. I like that!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

My grass is in pretty good shape, though I find I often have to play whack-a-mole with the little stray thoughts that want to wreck the whole deal. The Bible works great for that kind of whack-a-mole. ;)
~ Wendy

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Patricia said...

Oh...that quote made me laugh out loud. Love it! I've always loved the way Erma Bombeck put it, too..."the grass is always greener over the septic tank."

We need each other to remind us of these truths, don't we? (Writing about that very thing today.)

Perspective is huge.

BTW, you are a stunning mother of the bride. Stunning. XOX

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

What a great quote, Beth. :) I'm with Wendy, my grass is looking pretty good, but I do often have to beat back the thoughts that lure toward discontentment. Thanks for the reminder to check perspective.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thanks for chiming in, everyone! I was on my way to Bandon, OR yesterday. But I do love that quote! And your insights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact