In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

In Others' Words: Beauty







"The beautiful is everywhere." ~Fernand Leger, French artist


How often do I overlook beauty?

I get so busy with all the "doing"--writing, editing, laundry, running errands, texting, emailing, keeping my daughter busy, grocery shopping--that I miss the beauty all around me.

I miss the sound of my daughter's voice as she tells me a joke she just made up.

I miss the chance to see my husband embrace my daughter when he walks in the door after work. 

I miss the myriad of colors in the sunset over Pikes Peak.

I miss the sound of the hummingbirds outside my kitchen window.

I miss the chance for a walk in the coolness of the early morning.

I miss so much that adds beauty to my life.

Seeing beauty requires that I am intentional. Purposeful. Beauty is all around me. I need to choose to see it. Stop. Look. Listen. 

In Your Words: Stop whatever you're doing right now. (Reading this blog, I would guess.) Look. Listen. What beauty did you discover?  Be purposeful in looking for beauty today.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

You might laugh on this one, but I'm taking a swing at it. I have the blinds mostly down in the room where I write, but the sun is sneaking in and shining on my plate. I have a glob of raspberry jam left on it and I'm telling you...sunlight jam is quite pretty. Colors amaze me sometimes. My Bing homepage took my breath away this morning--a pic. of earth and the moon.
~ Wendy

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Beth, you're so right, seeing beauty around us must be an intentional action. I find that life keeps me spinning in many directions, causing me to miss the beauty God has surrounded me with.
This moment, I see beauty in my child's smile and declaration of love. I see it in the sun filtering through the morning greens in my back yard. I'm going to be purposeful in looking for beauty today.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I had no idea how timely this blog post would be when I wrote it a couple of weeks ago and posted it early. (I wanted to be off during my vacation.) I am at Bandon Beach in OR, and I am surrounded by unexpected beauty. The ocean, the sun, the waves, the sky, the seagulls, the smiles on the kiddos' faces, the purple and orange star fish, the myriad of pebbles washed up on the shore ...
Wow.
Wendy, I love raspberry anything ... And Jeanne, I love how your child's smile is a declaration of love.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

Beauty today was watching the clouds letting loose their raindrops over the city. And feeling summer air on my skin.

~Debbie

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Ah, yes, Debbie, beauty can be seen and felt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact