In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

In Others' Words: Dreams



"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream." ~ Author Unknown

That's the funny thing about dreams: You have to chase them. You can't walk into a store and purchase that elusive dream. It's not sitting on a shelf, waiting for you to dole out a few hard earned dollars or charge it on your credit card.

You want a dream? You have to chase it. Some days it seems so close . . . right there, just beyond your reach. And other days, you're at the back of the pack of runners, watching everyone else cross the finish line. Reach their goal. Attain their dream. 

And you have to keep on running. Another lap. Maybe two. You look around--are you the only left pursuing your dream?

Is it worth all the effort? All the running? Really, what would life be without dreams? 

In Your Words: What dream are you pursuing? What dream have you achieved? Did you learn any lessons along the way? 


Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thankfully, I have a few close people in my life who pursue their dreams with as much passion and fervor as I do mine. My best friend (even though she's over 50) decided to return to school and get her degree to follow her dream. My youngest sister recently became a nurse after years of hard work, sacrifice and study. My oldest sister is in her second year of nursing school pursuing her dream. They are an inspiration to motivate me to never give up. Thanks for this great, thought-provoking post!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Evangeline Denmark said...

I don't know if this is the drugs talking (yes, my migraine meds are still making me loopy), but just yesterday I had an uncharacteristic moment where I thought, "I don't have to put pressure on myself to make my dream happen now. I can keep trying. I can keep writing the stories that come into my head. I can keep bringing them to people and pursuing publication. The fact that I actually finish the novels I start is huge. It means I'm a writer." Now, today I'm telling myself, "That's sorta sad, Evangeline." But the point is pursuit, am I right?

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Keli Gwyn said...

Ever since I was seven, I'd dreamed of being a writer. Forty years later I dusted off that dream and began writing with the goal of publication. Having worked as a copyeditor earlier in life, I knew the path to publication wasn't one that could be rushed. I was prepared to wait.

What I learned is that God can work wonders when we're waiting if we give the process over to Him. Letting go of expectations and letting Him lead makes each step of my journey easier. (Oh, how I needed that reminder today. =)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Donna,
Watching others pursue their dreams often inspires me to keep running.
E, you are pursuing your dreams. There's a lot we're not in control of--as we are both learning. But choosing to keep running? That we are in charge of!
Keli, excellent point! Letting God lead each step of the journey-yes! Can't forget that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact