In Others' WordsIn Others' Words

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

In Others' Words: Timing




"God is always previous."

While this blog isn't necessarily always faith-based, my life is. So the topic of my faith shows up from time to time. 
Today is one of those posts.
Last week I had "one of those days" that lasted most of the entire week. I had a major decision to make--one that closed a door on something that I loved being part of. And even though I knew God's hand was guiding me to shut the door, it was still a rough week. 
It's difficult--painful--to walk away from something you love. Something you value.
Even as I made the difficult-right decision, I sensed God saying, "You're moving in the right direction. Keep going."
No--I didn't hear an audible voice. I just felt an overarching peace, even as I grabbed another tissue and erased the tell-tale tears. 
I'm blessed to have a mom-in-the-Lord--my husband's Aunt Jean. She has listened to me talk about, cry about, rejoice about my life over the past two decades.She's counseled me. Prayed for me, my husband and our family. I will only see what her prayers have wrought in heaven.
As I discussed last week with her, I shared how quickly God revealed what was next for me--literally within hours of my "Close the door" decision.
My always wise Aunt Jean shared something her friend Carol often said: God is always previous.
Previous. PriorOccurring before something else in time or order.
Hhhm. 
Like he might have a perspective about life--my life--that I don't have.
Like he might have a plan.
Imagine that.
No. Really. 
Imagine that.

In Your Words: Have you experienced the "Yes, this is the end of something good, but wait until you see what's waiting around the bend in the road" phenomena? I'd love to hear about it. 




photo: Fog Door by Salvatore Vuono freedigitalphotos.net

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Blogger Jeanne Takenaka said...

Beth, again, I love this perspective. :) There have been a number of times when God has closed a door, only to open another. Sometimes, He's given me a glimpse of what's coming, and other times He's surprised me.
One time He gave me a glimpse was when I had the privilege of working at our church. He closed the door on that job and opened the door to motherhood. Definitely one of the best doors He could have opened up for me (and my DH, of course!).

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Patricia said...

Thank you for this, Beth. The more earth years God gives me, the easier it is for me to see that my life (and most likely yours, too) has been a series of letting-go and then embracing-the-new turning points...it is just much easier (not necessarily easy, but easier) to get through the letting-go when I trust God for what is around the bend. I've had the hardest time letting-go of those things that I think define me - nurse, mother, caregiver. This week, in fact,( and I'll be sharing more about it in my Saturday weekend wandering post) I had to let go of one of those defining things without a clue what's next, but God's faithfulness to me in past experiences helps me to trust Him in this one. So thank you for encouraging me today, Beth.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Wendy Paine Miller said...

I don't know why it's so easy for me to struggle to remember that God has a plan when I'm in the midst of something sad or stressful, I'm just so thankful He proves it to me every time.

Glad His hand was in it all.
~ Wendy

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

I find sense encouragement from each person who takes time to comment. Thank you, Jeanne.
Thank you, Patricia.
Thank you, Wendy.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Edie Melson said...

Beth, your post is hard for me to read today. I've known for several weeks I must "close the door" to something and I've been avoiding it. God has been so patient with me, but also very persistent. I guess today is the day. Thank you for being God's spokesman in my life today. Blessings, Edie

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Gloria said...

Yes -- I'm in this place again--stuck between two options. But I"m unsure. This is good--it is teaching me to "remain in Him and His love" solely as my life right now. I love your picture of the open door. I'm waiting for mine.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My problem is when God does clearly close a door...but doesn't immediately show me what's waiting. :) Um, yeah, I like suspense in books but not so much in real life. And yet, the voice of Maria Von Trapp (aka Julie Andrews) usually butts into my impatience at some point: "When God closes a door, some way he opens a window." Your post is a great echo of that. Thanks for the continued encouragement. :)

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a truly wonderful, thought-provoking post. "God is always previous" sums up so much in how much He loves us, offers us His rock, and the lamp that illumines our path. Thanks for this great reminder and insight!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Beth K. Vogt said...

Thank you all for creating the conversation. I hope you know how much I learn from each of you.
Melissa, I am now humming songs from "The Sound of Music."
Edie, praying for you as you close the door. (I know how many open doors you've walked through in the past year!)

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Matthew Kreider said...

Yikes. Your post put shivers in my fingers. "God is always previous" is an aphorism I won't forget. I'm a 12-year high school English teacher who has been feeling a restlessness for a long time. I don't believe it was an accident that I came across the words in your post tonight, even if I don't quite understand why yet. There is such peace in understanding there is a work taking place in us -- and through us -- that we don't have to understand on this side of the space/time continuum. Thank you for interjecting your faith journey. God will continue blessing your voice -- as well as your aunt's! Be well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

e-newsletter signup
Home
About
Speaking
Calendar
Free Resources
Media
Books and CDs
Blog
For Writers
For Moms Over 35
Contact